Multi users on one phone

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by tlsallada, Oct 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tlsallada

I have an extension that has several users (day shift, Night shift) and would like to have the MWI indicate for all users. Now the 'main' users or actual extension/mailbox does work fine. How can I get unregistered extensions to show up on an actual phone?
    terry

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If the users all share the same extension number (with a that one Voicemail), if there is an unopened message in the mailbox, as soon as someone registers their set, the MWI will be active.

Voicemail indicators will signal on all extensions with the same extension number. Of course if one user has already listened to a message and determined that it wasn't for them (leaving it in the mailbox), there will not be any indication for anyone else to check for messages.

3. jasit

jasit New Member

why don't you use the voicemail to email feature, then you don't have to worry about the mwi?

4. tlsallada

This particular location doesn't have access to email so I can't use the voicemail to email option.

5. ian.watts

ian.watts Active Member

I don't think there is a way to subscribe MWI for an extension which is not registered.. but maybe there is.
    Typically a phone registers, then subscribes WMI for that extension.

Hmm.. I may have to try hacking that sometime.. to see if I can register some extension and subscribe mwi for an unregistered one.
    Doesn't seem that you'd get a notify.. but there is nothing directly against such an event from working, either.

leejor is right.. use "one" extension.. or if one phone, register multiple extensions (and assign a BLF for each..). The latter WILL notify MWI for each.. though the behavior may be a bit wonky, depending on the phone. If a notify is set to turn off MWI on one extension.. unclear to me if the MWI turns off if the other extensions registered on the phone still have messages waiting.. hmm..

6. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

I do not understand the logic.

You have one physical phone that is used by several different people based upon (your description) a time of day. What is not clear is how the different people relate to the mail box or boxes and their use. One solution might be to get a multi-account capable phone and then set-up a unique extension for each user and then use the global and specific office hours settings, forwarding rules, and auto settings such that:

Calls during the hours 8AM to 5PM go to extension 100 and then from 5PM to 12AM to extension 200 and then from 12AM to 8AM to extension 300 and back to 100. This may have an impact on how directories or digital receptionists and groups are set, so be wary. It is not explained if the extension in your scenario is generic (like tech support or order entry and it matters not who is staffing) or if it needs the individuality. You can then have the mailbox set for each accordingly (with or without PIN or even a common PIN) or you could set up another extension on the same phone as account 400 which vmail for any of the others would be set to "send voice mail to extension 400" such that it becomes a general or common mailbox that all (100, 200, 300) could access, but as has been pointed out, once read it matters not who read. This would accomplish - MWI indicate for all users.

Having an unregistered phone show as registered is not really possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.