Multicast Paging Suddenly Silent

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Tracey, Aug 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tracey

All,

I'm fairly new to 3cx. We had someone else build and install the system for us. However, I successfully set up multicast paging myself using a ring group. We are using Yealink sets. All sets are configured properly with the correct listening address. In fact, this has been all working very well for about six months. Yesterday however, or sometime very recently, the pages went silent. Everything looks correct - the phones appear to act the way they always did - but nobody can hear pages. We all hear the pre-page tones just fine, but can't hear any voice. We tested this from multiple sets.

Has anyone here run into anything similar?

Thanks,
    Tracey

2. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

You might want to log into one of the phone and see if the multicast page settings that you manually input are still there.

My thinking is that somehow or another the phone may have been reprovisioned and if so and using the standard 3CX templates, the settings may have been overwritten. The standard screen from which the template is built makes no provision for multi-cast, so you either have to modify the templates accordingly or set each phone manually. If manually, then you need to also turn off, from within the phone's web interface, the provisioning feature. Many phones have a default setting of automatically re-provisioning upon a power reset or after a certain amount of time elapsing.

3. Tracey

Thank you.
    The settings on the web interfaces look perfectly normal. I will delve into the templates.

4. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

With the Yealinks make sure you have the correct Multicast Codec set - must be the same on all devices and in 3cx. We are mostly T38 Yealinks... Here is my code. You can also setup a BLF to do the paging, and leave 3cx out of the equation completely.
    We do the page button on 1 of the 6 lines keys. Can easily be adapted for a BLF too.
    This is v70 or better config so it should work on any Yealink.

Code:
    #Configure Linekey1 
    linekey.1.line = 0
    linekey.1.value = 239.0.0.1:50001
    #linekey.1.pickup_value = 
    linekey.1.type = 24
    linekey.1.xml_phonebook =
    linekey.1.label = PAGE

Code:
    #######################################################################################
    ##                              Multicast                                            ##                                            
    #######################################################################################

#Configure the codec of multicast paging.
    multicast.codec = PCMU

#Enbale or diable the phone to handle the incoming multicast paging calls when there is a multicast paging call on the phone; 0-Disabled, 1-Enabled (default);
    #If enabled, the phone will answer the incoming multicast paging call with a higher priority and ignore that with a lower priority.
    multicast.receive_priority.enable = 0

#Configure the priority of multicast paging calls. It ranges from 0 to 10.
    multicast.receive_priority.priority = 0

#Configure the listening multicast IP address and port number for the phone. X ranges from 1 to 10.
    #multicast.listen_address.X.ip_address = 
    multicast.listen_address.1.ip_address = 239.0.0.1:50001

#Configure the lable displayed on the LCD screen when receiving the multicast paging. X ranges from 1 to 10.
    #multicast.listen_address.X.label = 
    multicast.listen_address.1.label = PAGE

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. jasit

jasit New Member

Hi,

I would check that your router configuration has not changed and the address you are using for multicast is being routed properly or not blocked.

6. Tracey

All,

Thanks for the help and sorry for the silence. It's too easy to forget a problem existed once it's resolved.

I poked around settings and templates all that day. I created a second page extension and it had the same problem. The system acted like the paging was working, but no voice could be heard by anyone. Later that evening, I gave in and rebooted the server. All has been well since.

If (when?) it happens again, more investigation will definitely be warranted.

Thanks again for your help.

Tracey

7. Tracey

Hello again,

This problem has reared its ugly head again two months later. The paging 'appears' to be working, but no voice is heard. In one page, we heard one blip of the receptionist's voice, but then nothing.

Has anyone else run into this issue? Rebooting our phone server every couple of months is not a great solution.

Thanks,
    Tracey

8. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

Can you look at my template above and try bypassing the phone system and using paging from the phone diss key direct multicast....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Tracey

Thanks, Craig.

I will look into this as we're now having this problem for the third time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.