Implemented Multiline TAPI

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by hagel, Dec 11, 2015.

Implemented Multiline TAPI 5 5 1votes
5/5, 1 vote

1. hagel

Please develop a multiline TAPI Driver.

We have a customer who is used to work with Estos ProCall connected to an asterisk system. He would love to keep the Estos client, but switch from asterisk to 3CX. Unfortunately it seems like 3CX has no multiline TAPI Driver available. Today the TAPI Driver only supports one single line. Therefore a connection between 3CX an Estos is not reasonable.

alphacom likes this.
  2. bardissi

bardissi Member

TAPI is pretty old and not a viable option based on 2015's technology.. just my opinion!

3. aconitas

I completely agree to hagel1. Of course TAPI is an old technology (as bardissi has mentioned correctly), however it is the technology that most ERP/LoB solutions (at least in the DACH Region) support by default.

We very often bump into this issue (as a KO criteria) in projects where an existing solution has supported TAPI / Multiline-TAPI and with 3CX we are note able to continue this feature without having the ERP vendor to create a plugin (which is not realistic).
    Many customers are just fine with the old technology and the feature limitations. The customer/user does not care if the technology is old or has limitations as long as it works and the ERP solution still behaves the way it has done with the old PBX.

It is very difficult to explain to a customer that he will have to give up a feature that his old and cheap PBX already had.
    To ask the ERP vendor to create a 3CX plugin is not really an option in SMB scenarios. The answer will always be the same: We support TAPI and cover 95% of all PBX solutions with that. Why should we develop something else?

We also have to keep in mind that Swyx, Starface and other softwarebased PBX systems offer this as well.

Therefore I can only support this request.

4. bardissi

bardissi Member

I understand what you are saying but things like .tel protocol etc are so common now and require no plugin creation...

When it comes down to spending development time to create current day feature set rather than re-create or continue to massage old tech that is dying or dead.. i would choose the current stuff...

Keep in mind that even 3CX's own tapi drive is only meant for Outlook dialing and not supported outside of that...

5. aconitas

But .tel does not help for inbound calls at all.

I am just saying that the lack of a proper TAPI support (inbound, outbound and multiline) would really solve a problem.
    This was already several times a show stopper when selling the solution (again I speak for the DACH market only).
    Almost every classic PBX system and all competitive software based PBX solutions bring this feature.

In my opinion this is not wasted time spend on old technology. It would be a feature that is missing and would definitely generate sales to customers that we can not reach at the moment because of this.
    It would integrate almost every ERP solutions in this market without having a plugin for all of them.
    Again: I understand the shortcomings and limitations of TAPI in combination for 3CX - however it would really help to solve some customer requests that block sales at the moment.
    As a Platin Partner we speak a lot with 3CX customers and potential customers, therefore I can say that for sure.

Andreas

6. bardissi

bardissi Member

Sure I'll vote for it lets see if it gets any traction ....I hope for your sake that it gets approved !

7. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

Actually we are working to support the top ERP and CRM systems directly, without the need for TAPI. In Germany we just added DATEV, and we want to add SAP. What other systems need to be supported? We will do the top 3 in a country, for example we wish to add Lexware too.

We also have a CSTA service that can be used if you must :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Futureweb

Futureweb New Member

Would also love to see full TAPI support for 3CX.
    It's really good you want to support all those big ERP/CRM Solutions - but you will still miss thousands and thousands of smaller ones which are wide spread in SMBs ... (and often got TAPI Support)
    For example - we use WEBFAKT (http://www.cika-software.de/webfakt-domainverwaltung/) - it got TAPI implementation for CRM Functionality ... as it's not one of those Big Players - we can't use all of its Features we had used with our old PBX anymore since we switched to 3CX ... which is a big step back :-/

Andreas Schnederle-Wagner

9. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

Its an interesting and much heard of discussion. If it was easy to develop we would do it. But TAPI is a big PITA . That said we are ready to look at this again in the coming months. Let us know which are the top applications that require this. The comment about WEBFAKT was interesting. Never heard of it but of course that is one of the reasons to go with TAPI.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. rb1

rb1

I agree,
    There are so many "small" products that support TAPI connectivity to a PBX. On many occasions we have had to use alternative PBX Systems due to 3CX not having good TAPI support.

11. rb1

rb1

I dont think support for the "top three companies" in each country suffices. No company uses just one software solution and I don't see why one should settle on integrating for example DATEV with 3CX and having one's secondary software be incompatible just because it uses the (elder) TAPI inter connectivity.

12. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

It should be noted we do have TAPI support. You are referring to us not having TAPI support on Terminal Server. We have decided to go ahead and develop a terminal server ready multi line TAPI driver which should be available in the coming months.

13. XanthiZ

3CX Support

es2000, Nick Galea and jed like this.
  14. Cryjack

We tried to use MultilineTapi for our customer and paid much for 3CX Pro. The MultilineTapi is indeed just a connector between 3CX Client and Windows and doesn't work with Windows Remotedesktop Server based on 2016 because of missing Telephony Services.

Is it possible to get a "real" TAPI directly to the 3CX without using 3CX Client?