Multiple 3rd party extensions with same authentication IDs?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by ezpc, Jan 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ezpc

Hi

I have a handful of SIP accounts from different providers and I used to have them all terminate on a single phone.

I thought it would be nicer if I make them all terminate on my 3CX so that I can get a few more features and just neaten it up a little.

I added two of them as sip lines fine, but, the third has the same authentication ID as the first one - and it isn't allowing me to add it.

I don't have authorisation or the ability to change my user ID on the other ends and I was wondering why is there a limitation that you can't have two accounts from two different providers that share an authentication ID?

Am I being silly here or is there a good reason for this?

Message I get is:

---------------------------
    3CX Interface
    A line with this authentication ID already exists. Please enter another one and try again.
    OK

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. jasit

jasit New Member

Re: Multiple 3rd party extensions with same authentication I

Sounds like you have two id's and three DID's , if the login is the same, then you want to add the DID identifier on the Source ID tab and the DID tab.

3. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

jasit - i think he is saying he can not register the account from the 3rd provider because the AuthID is the same as another.

espc - have you tried contacting the providers support to see if they can change it?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

he is speaking about different providers with same or no authentication ID, it is not allowed

5. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

he is speaking about different providers with same or no authentication ID, it is not allowed

6. ezpc

Yep, two different providers that have the same authentication ID.

I have spoken to both service providers and they have stated that they can't change it.

As it is for only two calls, I set one of the lines up on a separate VM in a separate 3CX instance and basically act as a proxy... annoying, but it works!

Anyone know why this is like this? I don't think it breaks any specification by having the same login and two different external providers...

7. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

I do not think that it breaks any specs either. However, I do find it somewhat strange that your providers will not work with you on the matter. Would their answer be the same in the event that somehow or another your credentials were hacked, stolen, etc. and used by someone else? If so, then you need to find a new provider.

While 3CX could likely handle different accounts using the same auth, the simple fact is that one would not normally expect the auth to be the same and especially so if from different providers (unless you were able to request same or set same). What are the odds? While I do not know for a fact, I suspect that having the same auth id adds complexity to the coding required to make the PBX keep things straight.

In the case of the phone, you had a multi-account phone which each account registering independently of each other. As a result, all calls were made and received to discrete accounts. Any call handling was really done at the provider so all activity was segregated from each other. In the case of the PBX it has inbound and outbound routes to manage and while the accounts are still discrete, the manner in which they are handled internally comes into play more so than at the extension level.

I assume by ensuring that auth ids are not duplicated it lessens the added burden on subsequent SIP authentication and call handling between the two. You could always submit a feature request, but I suspect that a change at or of the provider offers the more expedient solution.

Honestly, I do not profess to know the issues involved and thankfully, have never run across the issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.