Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Multiple Account but which one is being called

Discussion in 'Windows' started by medvjed, Jan 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. medvjed

Hi i have a 3cx phone with two account for my two companies (could be departments also)
    I receive incoming calls on both, but I can't see which one is being called.
    I just see a caller id and the accept, reject, voicemail buttons.

So i can't pick up with "john doe company X" or "John doe company Y"

Am I missing something or is this not supported (major bummer)
    Different ring tones for different accounts would be even better.

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

As far As I'm aware (and I assume that you are using this with a provider(s). Maybe this is something new that I haven't stumbled upon?? You can only have one registration at a time. Unless you are passing the call through the 3CX PBX (ring group), other than caller ID, there is no way to "tag" the calls as coming through one number or another.

3. medvjed

Hi, Yes i have two providers and two extensions.
    provider1 and phonenum. 1 to extension1
    provider2 and phonenum. 2 to extension2

both extensions are registered on one 3cxphone.
    This does work, I can call both numbers and the same 3cxphone rings.

I should not have to tag the calls. the 3cxphone is be able to see on which account this is coming in.
    But it does not show this as far as I can see.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

It's not going to put a text tag on the incoming call.

Is there no indication (button lighting up/flashing) that the call is coming in on line 1 or 2?

5. paulbenfield

I realize this is an old post, but this is exactly what I am looking for still. I have multiple accounts on my 3CX phone and they all work fine, in and out. However, when any of those extensions are being called, the phone rings, says who is calling, but does not tell you who is being called. The server log correctly shows all of the details of who is calling whom, but the phone doesn't show that info. Just like a previous poster said, without that information it is impossible to know how to answer the phone. We use the softphone for VoIP training as well as Emergency Operation Center (EOC) training. It would be nice to know whether to answer the phone as the Sheriff's Department or Public Works during our exercises.

A previous poster asked about assigning accounts to line buttons. That is how a hardphone would be set up, but I do not see that as an option on the 3CX softphone, or any of the SIP softphones that I have worked with so far. All lines are available to all of the accounts at any time. Specific accounts are not specifically assigned to individual lines. You pick the line, then pick the account, and make your call. Incoming calls ring the desired account using the first available line.

I think that the 3CX softphone is by far the best softphone out there right now. It is so easy to use and configure and has so many great features. I just really wish there was some way of knowing which of the many accounts on the phone is actually being called. (My other wish, not related to this post, is to have BLF work on the softkeys with other, non-3CX SIP servers.)

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

My understanding is that the "line" keys on any version of the 3CX phone are simply duplicates of the one extension that is registered. It allows you to hold one call, and then take a second, or place a second/third outgoing call. Extension setting must also allow this.

Even though you can create multiple profiles/accounts, only one is registered/in use, at a time. To indicate where a call came from would require (option must be enabled) 3CX to append the Ring Group or Queue name. Some gateways are also capable of adding names or prefixes, in some cases, that could be used to identify the source. 3CX can also change, or add prefixes of caller ID, on a per trunk basis.

7. jpillow

jpillow Well-Known Member

When the call comes into the system are you apart of a ring group? or are the calls coming to your phone directly? A work around is when the call hits the system from an external caller you can point the call to a ring group and name the ring group Company A, or Company B. When the callls comes in your caller ID will say Company A or Company B followed by the number calling in and you can answer accordingly. From my clients we've do this for both extensions register to that phone at the same time and its as simple as picking the account youd like to use for that particular call.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. dotVince

I have the same question as the OP. I have two numbers registered and both work fine. I absolutely need to know which number is being called. Without that I'm better off using two different SIP clients and having each register for a different number. If that feature could be added this would be a great client.

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.