Multiple Accounts 1 Client-Android

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by AH2, Sep 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AH2

AH2 New Member

Hi,

Is it possible to have multiple accounts on one 3cx client and have them both work at the same time ?
    I know currently we can have multiple accounts on the client, but need to select one of the accounts to work/make/receive calls, and I need to receive calls on the 2nc account it just sends it to voicemail.

Thanks in advanced.
    AH

2. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

That was possible with the old 3CX client -- http://downloads.3cx.com/downloads/3CXPhone6.msi -- it is just a SIP phone. You can provision it with latest 3CX PhoneSystem and use 3CX tunnel also or configure it manually.

It can work also with 3CX Phone 15 simultaneously and independently on one and the same windows machine.

You may receive calls on as many accounts as you want simultaneously and toggle account (with mouse click) on which to make outbound call.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    AH2 likes this.
  3. AH2

AH2 New Member

Thanks for the prompt response and alternative solution. Though it beats the "need" of being mobile and having to be at the desk to receive all calls, for this I use my laptop with account A and PC with account B.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

You can't have two accounts active (registered) at the same time on one 3CX device. As far as I'm aware it has never been possible. Many SIP desk sets will support this, but not 3CX devices at this point. You can have several versions of the 3CX Client installed on the same Android device. I have not tried running multiple versions simultaneously, t the same server, on the same phone. i can envision some port conflicts.

SIP Forking does work, where the same extension number, can appear on multiple devices simultaneously.

I'm not completely clear about which scenario you are enquiring.

#4 leejor, Sep 1, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    AH2 likes this.
  5. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

Hi Leejor,

it has been always possible and still possible with old 3CX client -- 3CXPhone6 (for version 11 3CX PhoneSystem). You can test it. First account can be provisioned, next ones should be configured manually.

You can configure several accounts, e.g. extensions 101, 102, 103, 104, ... simultaneously into one 3CXPhone6 client, all of them will register simultaneously and can accept calls from all of the accounts in the same time. For outgoing calls you can toggle between different accounts to choose from which one to make the next call.

You can think of 3CXPhone6 as of multi-account hardware SIP phone.

SIP forking has nothing to do with this specific case.

Regards,
    Orlin

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I have never tried on a windows install, one extension has always been enough. I use Android much more often, and only one account, can be selected (registered) at a time.

7. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

This 3CX phone client can work also with other SIP PBXs like Asterisk and others. It is universal soft-phone.

8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Yes, i think I may still have it installed on some of my old laptops.

9. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

I think you can still install it without any issues on latest Windows 10 PCs.
    It is downloadable from 3CX site, see link above.

10. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

For Android -- the only solution I can think is to use another SIP client like CSIPsimple -- it supports several accounts simultaneously. It can work simultaneously with 3CX client on one Android device.

AH2 likes this.
  11. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Unfortunately any non-3CX SIP App doesn't offer the additional features most 3CX PBX users expect. They are fine for basic calls, but some can't even handle transfers because they were not designed as a PBX application. This is why the most recent 3CX versions have moved away from a more generic operation, usable with other providers, to a feature rich, but version specific App.

#11 leejor, Sep 1, 2017
    AH2 likes this.
  12. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

CSIPsimple specially works fine with 3CX (and other PBX systems), at least from my experience. You can't expect more functionality than from a deskphone -- you can transfer calls (blind & attended), hold/resume, three-way conference call, etc. As far as I know, it started as a Google project, so it integrates well with Android OS and has extremely low power consumption.

Depends what you need, for other functionalities you may use simultaneously 3CX client. Of course a proprietary solution will integrate better with PBX. The original question was how to have several SIP accounts working simultaneously on one and the same device.

#12 sip.bg, Sep 1, 2017
  13. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

Regarding development trends upto 3CX V11 there was a 3CX softphone and separate application -- 3CX assistant for extended functionality. Then in versions 12-15 the management application was integrated with 3CX client (softphone). Now, with v15.5 and webclient again you can have separate management application and integrated one. Both approaches has their advantages and flaws.

It is important to have open systems, as much as possible and to remain so. Proprietary solutions lead to higher prices, encapsulation and lack of development / innovative concepts. It led to passing away of huge PBX manufacturers like Siemens, Ericsson, Avaya, etc., despite of rich features and functionality, they used to have.

It will be a pity to see 3CX eventually being tempted to become a closed system, supporting only proprietary end-point devices and gateways with arguments this will give more features and functionalities to customers or better support. The challenge is to have an open system with maximum benefits for the customers.

#13 sip.bg, Sep 1, 2017
    AH2 likes this.
  14. AH2

AH2 New Member

Did not think of that one, well kind of did, but with Zoiper and we've been having a lot of issues with call quality because of Zoiper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.