Multiple Channels with Single Skype Account

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by figtree, Nov 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. figtree

Hi!

I tried configuring 4 channels with a single account, and when I did the Skype-in call, all 4 channels sent INVITE's to the 3CX-PBX.
    The 3 channels got 486 Busy Here, and 1 channel got the 180 Ringing.
    But after 1 sec. the Skype-Gateway sent a CANCEL to the 3CX-PBX, making the call dropped.

Is it possible that the Skype-Gateway be intelligent enough not to send other SIP INVITE's if all channels uses a common Skype-Account?
    This is to avoid confusion on the Gateway, in effect the Skype-Gateway CANCELs the call for some reason.

Did you encounter this issue before?

Thanks,
    Fred

2. Vali_3CX

Vali_3CX Well-Known Member
    Staff Member 3CX Support

gateway is intelligent enough. You have a master channel set?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. figtree

Hi!

Yes, I have the master channel set. But using the same Skype account, all channels send INVITE's to the 3CX-PBX.
    I can send you the sip traces. Can you try to simulate at your end even with 2 or 3 channels set-up using the same account?
    Wait for few minutes before you make the SKYPE-IN call, then see if the call just used 1 channel or is using 3 channels to send the call?

Thanks,

4. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

I don't have to simulate anything, I don't need sip traces. If you're telling me about SIP INVITEs, you should be able to understand how, quoting you, "intelligent gateway" is.

So, you have four Skype clients using the same Skype account. From another, caller, Skype, you make a call to that account. How many Skype clients will ring? FOUR! How many Skype calls do you have, one or four? ONE! Now, each of those Skype clients are connected to a SIP gateway, each having a distinct PSTN line on the PBX. How many PSTN lines will ring? FOUR. How many SIP calls, one or four? FOUR. How many INVITEs? FOUR. What happens when that ONE Skype call will be ended? FOUR SIP will be ended.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. figtree

It seems you are emotional about the "intelligent gateway" thing, as I'm just asking a question, I didn't mean to make it negative as the way you interpret it. Stay cool.

Thanks anyway.

6. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

"Master-channel configuration" is designed to "serialize" incoming Skype calls, by using a "public" Skype account (the master's one) and several distinct "anonymous" or "private" ones for slaves. Each incoming Skype call on master is "transferred" to the first available Skype slave. Such configuration is suitable for, let's say, whole company.

"No-master configuration" is designed to allow "departments", like sales and development, by channels using the same Skype account. You have three Skype channels using comp_sales account, and four using comp_dev account, both accounts "public". An incoming Skype call to, let's say, comp_dev, will ring all 4 phones, and one will answer, the other three will stop ringing. Another incoming call to comp_dev will ring the available three, and one will answer, the two will stop ring. And so on. The same for comp_sales.

However, theoretically on the gateway you may define as many channels you want, but PBX has limitations on simultaneous calls, therefore, if your gateway tries to handle more calls than PBX allows, you may have disconnections.

If your PSTN lines has "end call" rules, also you will get disconnections. As much complicated the Skype-to-end-phone chain is, as much difficult will be to understand what's wrong and what's normal in a specific behavior.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.