Multiple extensions on one phone

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by nicedoggie, Oct 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicedoggie

One of the persistent issues I hear from customers is the ability to put a call on hold when another call is coming in. 3CX sees the extension as in use and will not ring to it or allow it to be used unless it is not in use.

One suggestion is to provision a phone to register for two extensions, like 101 and 102. In theory the second extension would ring if the first was on a call. One would be able to put 101 on hold and pickup 102.

Tech support suggested that it is possible to provision a phone for multiple extensions but they could not support it.

Has anyone tried to do this and if so, did it work?

Specifically, I am using snom 821 phones and it would be great to be able to offer this.

2. jbryant84

jbryant84 New Member

Check "Allow multiple calls" on forwarding rules, and the phone will show an "answer/ignore" on screen that places current call on hold/sends new call to destination of forwarding rules, respectively.

3. nicedoggie

Thanks, will test this.

4. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello @nicedoggie

Please note that it is possible to receive multiple calls on the same extension by enabling the option "Allow multiple calls" like @jbryant84 suggested but this will not apply for Ring Group of Queue calls.

5. nicedoggie

Yes, in fact it does work but not for calls coming in from ring groups or queues. That function is/was common on land lines and I'm trying to find a solution.

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Imaxinar DM likes this.
  7. nicedoggie

I have implemented ALLOWUSEBUSYOPTFORGROUP per the suggestion above on two systems and am testing for bugs. 3CX support gave me the full warning that it may cause problems. I feel that this issue is one that would be at the top of the list for 3CX.

I would try creating a 2nd extension on the set if I knew how. That is one of the suggestions 3CX made, however, they also said they couldn't support it.

I wonder if others have used the ALLOWUSEBUSYOPTFORGROUP flag and it's been successful or not.

Imaxinar DM likes this.
  8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

And, perhaps, this is a feature that needs to considered in a future release... the ability, to easily add additional (different) extension numbers to line keys, without having to know how to manually modify a provisioning file.

#8 leejor, Oct 31, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    Imaxinar DM likes this.
  9. steve matten

I too am testing this functionality. We have multiple queues that many are logged into and have some SLA goals to meet. If we could put a caller from one queue on hold and answer a call from another queue, that would be optimal.

I do have a workaround; call parking. When you see another call in the queue (if you are watching the switchboard), put the first call in parking and the queue will ring your phone if you are in that queue or group because your extension is no longer busy. I wonder if you can relabel the call parking slots from SPn to something that is meaningful.

10. nicedoggie

After one week with one fairly high volume customer, we have had no issues with ALLOWUSEBUSYOPTFORGROUP flag. They have 4 extensions with the proper ports forwarded and static ips on the lan. Also, pbx delivers audio.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.