Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Multiple Line Instaces

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by LyonAdmiral, Apr 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LyonAdmiral

I've read some posts about editing XML to remove extra line instances of the same extension on phones such as the Cisco 79x0 & 79x1 series. I'm wondering if it is possible to adjust these XML files to allow the phone to show line instances for other extensions on the phone.

An example in my institution would be for the main receptionist who has a 7960 to be able to see if other people in the administrative offices are on their phones.

2. 12494

12494 Member

Seems like this could be accomplished much easier by setting up some BLF appearances in the 3CX Phone for Windows. Does that work for you?

Allen

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If you insist, you can edit the XML files, I did to change line keys above line 1 as by default they were all the same extension number. I have found that 3CX will "update" the provisioning files, replacing the modified files, with what it thinks is the correct configuration. I'm not clear on how often this happens, or under what circumstances, but keep this in mind (make a back-up copy of any modified file).

I ended up using... http://xml-copy-editor.sourceforge.net/

4. LyonAdmiral

It could, but the front desk receptionists insist on having a physical handset and I'm just looking to see if I could do it that.

5. 12494

12494 Member

If you are stuck with the Cisco - would you consider adding a sidecar(s). Then you don't have to fool around with the templates and you can just provision from 3CX? Or if you are open to the brand you could go with something easy to work with like Yealink.

Allen

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. cfive

cfive Member

Get the receptionist a second monitor, and set them up with the 3cx phone for windows, with the receptionist view. (and/or a bunch of speeddials). They'll never go back :). A side benefit is that this is "free", or, at least, included in your 3CX license.

I've run into this so many times. My standard answer is - I'll set you up with the receptionist view while we wait for the "phone with all the buttons" to arrive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.