Multiple mobile devices with softphone registering to same extension

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by hood, Jan 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hood

Hi All,

I'm assisting a client with a previous 3CX installation resolve some on going niggles.

They have had another party install a comprehensive wifi network throughout the organisation, and were attempting to use android based mobile phones on wifi only using both the 3CX app and Zoiper. They have had lots of wifi connectivity issues that are meant to be resolved now.

But some of the issues they are still experiencing is the extension on the soft phones unregistering and registering a huge amount of times as they moved around. I've also discovered they had the same extension registered to multiple mobile devices.

I've never tried registering multiple softphone clients to the same extension before and not sure how successful this would be, if it is supported or even possible. Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

Also the wifi network is VLANed off and on a different IP range to the 3CX PBX. I believe the router doesn't filter any traffic between the ranges, but not sure what we can do to improve the system. I'm wondering if an SBC on the same IP range / VLAN as the wifi network would help?

Thanks in advance team.

2. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

You can register multiple phones to one extension, however there must be a reason for this, otherwise it may be uncomfortable.
    You better avoid NAT in your network (between WiFi and cable LAN, if you have). No reason for using SBC, it will only complicate the setup unnecessary.
    There should be apparent reason for multiple registrations / deregistrations -- check your router, AP and wireless coverage.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.