Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Multiple MOH strategy

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by markys, May 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markys

Hi Folks,

Newbie here, I am evaluating 3cx for our replacement system, all looks very good, and V11 has addressed on of my big issues with MOH and live line in sources, I have one remaining issue. I want to provide different MOH sources for different groups of extensions, we essentially have 3 different clients with our building and I need to allow them each to have their own MOH source, some live and some playlists. A Multi Tenant install (which I believe will offer a solution to this) seems a bit over the top for this one issue, any other strategies out there?

2. efounco

efounco New Member

I've been playing with v11 for the last couple days, and I don't think it's possible. I know you can specify different MOH for SP and PO, but you can't specify MOH for individual or groups of SPs.

The way additional SPs are handled in v11 feels a little "unpolished". Instead of lumping all of the SPs together into a single configuration tab, they should have grouped them together in blocks 10 with separate configurations for each.

Also, i noticed that the SP "Automatic Pickup" feature doesn't actually transfer calls like it's suppose to. We use a number of "dummy extensions" to route calls differently based off of the time of day (using exceptions). If I configure the "Automatic Pickup" feature to send the SPs to one of these dummy extensions, it never actually transfers the call. Instead, it attempts to send a "ring signal" to the dummy extension where a phone doesn't exist.

The new version is still beta and subject to change, but It's definitely a HUGE improvement over the previous version.

3. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Auto pickup does not work with the concept of dummy extensions. Dummy extensions are a hideous concept that we want to move away. 3CX Test department tests and supports absolutely nothing in relation to dummy extensions.

We don't transfer a call to a dummy extension. We want to transfer the call to the person / human being that parked the call. If a dummy parked the call then it will be sent back to the dummy. That's how the administrator configured it. That's what we will do.

There is nothing unpolished in that area. The only unpolished thing in this is the use of dummy extensions.

MOH will remain as it is - V11 is beta but there will be no more changes to it.

If you have 3 different clients, then give them 3 different PBX's. That's how things work in companies. Now we have the multitenant option and it can be used. the footprint is small in multitenant.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. efounco

efounco New Member

We would like to get away from using "dummy extensions" too, but our 3CX phone system lacks the basic ability to handle scheduled routing for inbound calls.

I was giving 3CX benefit of the doubt that there "might" be some changes made to version 11 because it was still beta. However, now that you have clarified that there will be no further changes or improvements made to version 11, markys can cut bait and move on. :roll:

And yes, I agree that markys should purchase a multi-tenant version of 3CX for his intended usage. However, there are several scenarios in which being able to use different MOH music for different SPs would be beneficial.

Regardless, I'm very happy with the changes in version 11 and look forward to future improvements in version 12.

5. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Yes scheduled inbound routing is not available. But you can set specific office hours for a DID. we think this is enough for now. If you think it is not then open an idea on ideas.3cx.com. Lets see what votes it will get.

if you forward did's to dummy extensions to get scheduled inbound routing working, this is a workaround which will work but of course since it is not standard, other things will break. Then you cannot forward to a shared parking place as this is a broken configuration.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. efounco

efounco New Member

Our setup is extremely basic. Let me know if you have a better solution without using dummy extensions...

All inbound calls are routed to a single "dummy extension" (900) Routing

(900) Routing
    Exceptions:
    * Specific Hours (excluding Holidays) 5:00AM - 8:00AM --> "Ring Group 5AM"
    * Specific Hours (excluding Holidays) 8:00AM - 5:00PM --> "Ring Group 8AM"
    * All Hours --> "Digital Receptionist Closed"

Ring Group 5AM - Ring all
    Ring Group 8AM - Ring all excluding managers
    Digital Receptionist Closed - Recorded message

Realize that our company is fairly small. A few of the office managers come in early to help answer calls until the entire crew shows up at 8:00am. After that time, they don't want to be bothered by incoming calls...

I originally setup our system so that all incoming calls went into a queue. From there, the managers could log in or out of the queue as necessary. Unfortunately, this did not go over well. Not only would the managers forget to log in or out of the queue, the CEO demanded that all incoming calls must be answered by a live person instead of being put on hold in the queue. Thus, I changed everything over to ring groups and my dilemma ensues.

7. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Well like this you cannot. Because you want a Ferrari, and you are trying to make one from a
    But you can still use the same approach using the appropriate designed components

I will help you to choose the best consolidated approach.

A) If you have a call center you need to use Queues. Eliminate the ring groups. Use them as fallback at least.
    B) You will have 1 queue with all the users in there.

If the manager is willing to help, then they should also be willing to log out from the queue. What is the big deal? Either get bothered or press a button.

If you know that the managers work from 8am till 10am and after they do not want to be bothered then make a schedule in 3CX and make the extensions go to log out of queue automatically.

Set the extension to have specific office hours and check the option to automatically log out of the queue only. Do not check changes in profile status.

IN any case you know what time the managers want to help because you have set the time and 2 ring groups - one for the morning and one for the later time.

This of the live person answering the call is a useless argument. IN my opinion I prefer to hear some decent music on hold than a long dial tone that never ends until a ring group member answers the call.

Like this you are using what we call a standard approach. This is how we test. This is how you will have no problems. This is how you will have everything working.

The managers should not only log in and out of the queues. But they should also be responsible to ENSURE and ENFORCE that all other agents log in and out too. This is how a call center works. I think the problem is in the management of the company not in 3CX.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.