Multiple Network Cards and Phone Provisioning

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by cscdubai@eim.ae, Apr 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cscdubai@eim.ae

When 3CX server has multiple network cards: One for Data (soft phones), other for Voice (hard phones).. The phone tab only shows hardware phone PnP device and not the soft phone. Is there a way to show all?

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I've seen question involving two NIC cards, where one is internal (LAN), and one external (WAN), but I don't recall a scenario where they are both internal, and, I assume, different subnets.

Is there a specific reason that this sort of set-up is required given that both will be carrying voice traffic?

Hopefully there is someone else, on the forum, that has experience with a similar configuration.

3. jpillow

jpillow Well-Known Member

What is the reason fro two internal NIC cards??? I"m assuming its because you have both a voice and data network and want to be able to utilize the softphone/myphone features??? In my experience unless your doing it with two seperate is a complete necessity for some other reason I'd keep both soft and hardphones all on one network.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ian.watts

ian.watts Active Member

I multi-home for a LAN and a WAN connection.. but certainly not two internal.

5. Deepest

I ran into this with a customer that refused to budge on using the same range for soft and hard phones so i ended up using 3 lan cards.
    1 for the soft phones/data network on 10.0.1.xx/24, 1 for the hard phones 10.99.99.xx/24 and one for voice to voip provider on a different range.
    In the phones tab i have both soft and hard phones showing.

6. jpillow

jpillow Well-Known Member

It sounds as if to me youre making this install more difficult than it has to be. I'm not saying using a,range for softphones, a range for hard phones, and a range for the VoIP vider 100% will not work. What I am saying is expect to have issues while doing so, and spending way more time dealing with this then needed. Please explain the logic for wantpng to install like this? The client who is insistent upon setting this up, based on what past experience did he determine to usd multiple IP ranges. Does he have any exerience with VoIP or is he a data guy saying "this should work because blah blah blah" based on my vast netwroking experience??? As a side note If a client wanted to setup 3cx as such I'd give them ample warning "I will not be suppporting this functionality" as there is no way to know 100% it works, I'd make it very clear in the beginning I cannot guarantee it works..... Have you attempted to test this in any type of lab or real world scenarios, or did you simply install and hope for the best". It does sound like Deepest has this scenario working maybe he'd be your best resource here. My only similar experience with multiple NIC cards on the LAN would result in dropped calls as the network would attempt to route the packets the quickest way over the network which when dealing with data not a problem at all with voice causes huge problems. good luck.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.