Multiple network connections on 3CX server?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by jlebeau, Jun 13, 2007.

1. jlebeau

I was wondering if anyone has configured a 3CX server on different networks through multiple NICs successfully?

Here is what I am trying to do--I want to keep my phone system on a separate network (that goes back to my Cisco training--keep your phone traffic on a separate VLAN or network whenever possible.) I don't have VLAN capable switches, so I want to put my phone network on a different range on its own switch. Then, for administration, and possibly remote users coming in over the internet, use the second NIC in the server on my existing network.

Will 3CX respond on both IP addresses?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If the 3CX software is installed on the box with the two nics it will respond to both nics.

Now that is where you MIGHT run into some troubles if the nics are using the same network segment. I trialed two nics within the same network segment on the same box with 3cx, somehow it did not feel wright.

I must admit it was during the STUN issue we had earlier this week so I am not sure if that was related. I have the config as one Nic now, might turn the second nic back on later and have a go again.

Keep in mind, from memory, that the software is binding to "localhost" eg. 127.0.0.1 unless you tell it otherwise. So it will respond to any NIC in the box, not sure if that is actually a good thing.

3. jlebeau

I will have them on entirely different networks. The 3CX phone network will be 192.168.1.x and the current network will be 192.168.2.x with standard class C subnets (or something in that range). We do some heavy file transfers over our network and I don't want to have worries about latency killing of voice traffic. I have had to reconfigure too many networks in the past that didn't take IP telephony into account and had terrible performance issues.

Fortunately, the existing phone system was wired with Cat 5e to separate blocks, so I don't have any extra work there, and the server I will use has dual gigabit ethernet on-board. I can make an access list on the firewall to limit remote users to authorized people only Looks like that should work out well enough then.

4. Borsoock

Borsoock New Member

Hello

I run 3CX and winstun server on he same box with 2 physical NICs and 3 IP adresses without any problems. 'External' NIC has 2 public IPs from the sanme segment assigned (for winstun server), 'internal' NIC has 10.51.xx.xx. I use to have some problems on windows network automatic metrics setting, so I've settled it maualy and everything is OK.
    Yes, 3CX responds on each address (for me it's not a problem so far), I think I could solve this issue by firewalling ports (5060, 9000, 7000 etc) port on NICs that should't be use for cliens registration.

It would be really nice if 3CX team add in General Setting field 'bind to address' to give us more controll in multi-nics environment.

Thanks

Marcin

5. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

It's done already for new version, and will be available soon. This settings is in INI file, though. I don't think it's a big difference for you :)

6. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

Mind though, that while bound to specific NIC, 3CX will NOT receive SIP from other NICs

7. Borsoock

Borsoock New Member

Great! Thanks for the info Archie.
    Just to clarify. You have implemented bounding to specified NIC or IP addres? Bounding to IP is better in my opinion because it would cover also multiple IP's on the same physical NIC scenario (like in my case).

Thanks

Marcin

8. jlebeau

Is that setting allow for binding to multiple NICs or is it a single NIC/IP address setting?

Definitely good news to see that as an option though.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What does that mean.... we bind to the IP or we bind to the MAC? I am getting a bit confused regarding binding to nic.

See the MAC address is the only thing tha treally can bind to a NIC. The IP is only virtual and can be bound to FQSN (See where I am heading?). IP addresses, are hard to remember especially on large networks, so I can move an IP to another box and whoop no 3cx installed, so my VoIP is down.

So what is it we bind to? MAC or IP.

Well seperate NIC will do you no good here, you still have the same physical wire (unless it is all seperate wired) I have no idea where and what but the only way to make sure that VoIP is not squeezed is QoS (Port Based, IEEE 802.1P (i use that one) /ToS/DSCP. Honnestly do you really want to build a sperate network for just a nominale bandwidth of 87.2 kbps?

I run a gigabit network here and a 8Mbps network to my offices, even during backup across the network we get reasonable phone calls MOS 4 so that is all good. No need for extra boxes and wires. It is all about the QoS and the ToS here.

10. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

We bind to the IP.

Single IP only. If not set - we're listening on 0.0.0.0, that means we'll get SIP packets from every IP/NIC/whatever. But it seems we're experiencing rooting troubles if send by socket bound to 0.0.0.0 in the case of multiple IPs. Actually, as far as I can see - first interface shown by "ipconfig" system command is used.

11. jlebeau

It is a separate network--I mentioned that in my original post. I don't have VLAN-capable or QOS-capable switches at this time, but desparately need a new phone system. i already have separate runs of Cat 5e in place and a separate patch panel. In my case, it is as simple as putting a switch there and giving one NIC on my server a different IP range.

Also, you say nominal bandwidth, but that isn't the issue. Latency is the issue when you are talking about RTP traffic. Have 4-6 external calls plus assorted internal calls and other traffic (VM traffic, etc) and you have some significant traffic streams that the network has to deal with.