• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Multiple network interface card problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

John2007

Reaction score
I tried 3CX system for a week. The system seems good, but there are two things make me in trouble.
First, it assumes authentication ID equals to phone number.
Second, it seems it cannot handle multiple NICs/IPs on one machine. it seems randomly bind to an IP address so sometimes system work well; sometimes I get one way voice; and sometimes I get no voice at all. SIP part always work.

Any idea about the second problem? I know I have to wait for next version to solve the first problem.

Whoooooo, backup the truck....

Step away from the computer.

First, it assumes authentication ID equals to phone number
That is perhaps a wrong assumption the authentication ID, it suggest to use numbers it does not necessary to be your phone number. By the way what authentication ID are you talking about the Line or the Extension?

Second, it seems it cannot handle multiple NICs/IPs on one machine. it seems randomly bind to an IP address so sometimes system work well; sometimes I get one way voice; and sometimes I get no voice at all. SIP part always work.
Hmm my 3cx box has 4 nics in it and it works just fine. You can make it a little easier to nominate the card you want to use as priority, also it helps if you use fixed IP addresses.

To make a card priority that is an OS issue.
Fire up Network Connections
Select advanced
Select advanced settings
Select in the connections box the nic you want to use as priority and than move that one to the top.
That should do the trick.

Now question why do you have multiple network cards in the machine? Is it an ISA box?

The issue with one way and two way voice is possible related to the way you got your extensions configured.

If you exension is configured to be external it will go and use the external ports as where it is configured as bind to media server will use the internal ports.

if you use device is external you have to open the ports on the firewall.

That is perhaps a wrong assumption the authentication ID, it suggest to use numbers it does not necessary to be your phone number. By the way what authentication ID are you talking about the Line or the Extension?
I mean the VOIP external line. This was discussed in another thread and have the conclusion.

My machine is not a ISC but it has several NICs because there are several different services used for different subnets. My machine is not a router for this subnets.

Code:
subnet 1 (192.168.26.xxx)                          subnet 2(192.168.1.x)                      public IP
------------------------------+++++++++++++++++++-----------------------  internet gateway -------------------
                              +                 +         ^
                              +   my machine    +         |
                              +                 +       this subnet used for phone system
------------------------------+++++++++++++++++++
subnet 3 (192.168.2.xxx)

I got following in 3cx log.
Established media channel for Ext.301: remote=192.168.1.39:35522; local=192.168.26.1:9002
Established media channel for Ln:10000@exte: remote=192.168.26.1:9002; local=192.168.1.39:35522
if 192.168.26.1 become 192.168.1.5, then voice is fine. So I guess the problem is with how to assign the ip address for the connection.
I tried set priority of NICs, but it did not work.

Looks like it is doing what it should do:

Ext.301: remote=192.168.1.39:35522; local=192.168.26.1:9002
Ln:10000@exte: remote=192.168.26.1:9002; local=192.168.1.39:35522

Check in your settings for "device is external" it will use an "external route" try to set them all the same so the calls will be "routed" via the internal route (using ports 7000) .

Re nic priority, that is to have the server to determine which card should be used first for traffic. It is not directly related to 3CX, I am trying to get a level playing field so I can understand you problem better.

Have fun.

Subnet 192.168.1.xxx connects to gateway and go to internet, not the subnet 192.168.26.xxx. So if 3cx system listen on 192.168.26.xxx subnet, it won't receive any voice because gateway will forward traffic to subnet 192.168.1.xxx. That's the problem. I tested on an one NIC machine and everything worked.

What do you have configured in the Line management area?

That is where you can set the IP address where 3cX has to listen to, you also can change configs in the Http.conf file for apache but before we do that lets take the "normal" approach.

192.168.1.xxx so on that network segment I expect to see an ATA if not than you need to do some NAT routing. If you configure a gateway in th lines management to go to for examle 192.168.1.100 as your VOIP gateway than it will listen to that gateway and that gateway will be registered in 3cX.

I do not think the problem is 3cx you either have a split horizon or have the incorrect gateway configured.

The extension or line number need not be the same as the authentication ID. It depends a bit on the device and whether it is an extension or a VOIP Gateway.

In regards to multiple nics - yes, this is unlikely to work well in this version unfortunately. it can only support one nic at a time and if there are several this is likely to confuse 3CX Phone System. This will be addressed for the Enterprise edition. I suggest installing VMware server on the machine and running the phone system on a separate XP VM?

My voip line phone is 1234567890 and authentication ID is abcdefg. The current 3cx 3.0 send register request to register sip:[email protected].
This is wrong, it should register sip:[email protected].

I can use VMware solution but my machine is a little bit old. I guess it should be easy to bind listen request to specific IP address instead of random choice one. only need a simple configuration to specify working subnet for 3cx.

Ahh,

(step in the dark). But I noticed something a while ago but did not pay attention to it, so i am not sure if it was the wine or the the fiction.

[email protected] is that the first line configuration eg it is top in the list? and is bound to 10000?

If so swap that arround to be [email protected] as top in the list and bound to 10000.

I have the funny suspision that it is FIFO related (First in First Out).

Like i mentioned before, i have 4 nics in the box and it is all working ok, so it should be able to work, what ATA are you using?

Re register looks like the wrong info in the wrong box, try to swap that arround, mind you that is not a NIC issue. That is an authentication issue.

Also noticed you got VMWare, are you sure you got the correct virtual nic? but like i mentioned it might be just an authentication issue based upon your last post.

John2007 said:
I guess it should be easy to bind listen request to specific IP address instead of random choice one. only need a simple configuration to specify working subnet for 3cx.

Actually, 3CX binds to ALL interfaces on your computer, so it will receive messages from any subnet connected. But it is not able to decide which interface it should use to send something. So, you can not have extensions on different subnetworks. Still, you can have them in one subnet, and they should work OK, provided that interface to that subnet has highest priority to send UDP.

From my knowledge, sending out should not have problem on choosing interface. The routing protocol should handle it.
My problem maybe related to firewall setting, such as do not open enough number of ports. Anyway I will test again when next version is available.

By the way, can 3cx remove the limitation that user ID must be a number. It is true for telephone but not necessary for general VOIP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davide.luppi
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.