• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Multiple NICs with 3CX on Debian

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccexpert

Reaction score
So in the guide it says you cannot have multiple NICs on the Linux install. I learned this the hard way because the web server throws a 502 Bad Gateway error when you try to access it. I am using OpenVPN with all of my customers. I tried the SBC and just plain old STUN with so many issues. OpenVPN has been amazing. However, I want to run OpenVPN on the same server as the 3CX services. OpenVPN creates a TUN interface with an IP for the remote clients. I am doing this on Windows currently with the v14 multi-tenant 3CX and it works just fine. Since 3CX is abandoning the multi-tenant model, I am forced to use multiple servers with Amazon which cost a lot more than what I was paying for just the 1 server. It seems like in order to get this to work, I will need a single machine just for OpenVPN and one for each tenant. I am looking at using OVH for their small VPS servers. Problem is, those servers do not offer a private IP space to put all of these machines together. So I need OpenVPN to run on the same host as 3CX.

So my real question is, what can be changed in the 3CX config to allow it to use a server with multiple NICs?

Hi,

We've got exactly the same issue... We also use OpenVPN instead of the SBC. I've tried everything but the 3CXPhoneSystemMC01 service keeps crashing.

I've opened a ticket...

3CX Support : "The PBX should only do one thing and one thing only, just run the PBX and no extra services especially openVPN (the same applies to the Windows version as well) you can run some additional programs if you wish that are non system related, nano for example but not system related services such as a VPN tunnel on the server, this will need to go. "

:evil:

Such a lame response. For small systems, running OpenVPN on the same server should be fine. I am doing it with 8 multi-tenant customers with less than 10 phones each. No issues. Might just have to figure it out on my own. Trying to keep the cost down per customer. It's so hard to compete with other could PBX providers on pricing.

I've got a solution.. I will send you a PM

Have you looked into configuring your firewalls to do site-to-site VPN instead of running VPN on the server?

Not sure if OVH offers edge gateway control or anything like that, but that's what I would do to get around the "1 NIC to rule them all" stance 3CX has.

The very manual and not recommended thing to do would be to create static routes.
I've never done that in Linux, but I have for Windows machines to resolve an issue similar to yours.

https://access.redhat.com/documentation ... outes.html

Hopefully you find a solution! I'm in the same boat- going from multi-tenant to ... tons of individual servers.

The linux build has been nice since it's very cheap to spin up. I have a few in AWS that run very nicely for very low costs- around 25$/month for call center level of usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Murad88
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.