Multiple phones per extension - manually configured?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by JonnyM, May 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonnyM

I have found this document which explains how to put multiple handsets onto one extension - http://www.3cx.com/docs/configure-multiple-ip-phones/, but this covers situations where the handsets are provisioned.

Can I just take the user ID / password that has been generated for a users primary phone and use these to register a second phone that doesn't support auto-provisioning? I think I've tried this before and it ended up with each phone kicking the other off when the registration periods expired.

Usually I'd just do this with a ring group but then there's issues with people calling extensions back after missed calls (they would call the handset and not the group), as well as a loss of BLF functionality.

Is 3CX happy with more than one handset per extension when manually configured?

Thanks

2. uptime1

uptime1 New Member

Yes, 3CX is fine with multiple extensions. You can manually configure another device and it will work (not guaranteed that all 3CX features will work but go ahead and give the device(s) a try).

3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

It's called SIP forking and is supported by 3CX.

Some VoIP providers support it, some, to a point (multiple outgoing but only one incoming), and some don't support it at all.
    The issues you describe can happen when multiple remote extensions are behind the same router and a SBC is not deployed, IF the local SIP port is duplicated on the sets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.