Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Multiple ring groups for different extensions

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by kristijonas, Apr 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kristijonas

Hi,
    i have a situation where i need some phones to ring on incoming calls for a while, and if there's no answer - more phones would ring.
    I've figured i could create 2 ring groups.
    Group 1 - ext. 101, 102, 103. Group 2 - ext. 101, 102, 103, 104, 105.
    If no one would answer incoming call to group1 in 10 seconds, it would redirect this call to group2.
    First problem was that i need to see ring group name in front of caller id, as we have a couple of external numbers and want to know which one was in use. So it would stack groups after jumping to group2 : group2:group1:caller id. Could name second group as "." or something similar, so it would not bother anyone.
    Second problem - as both 101, 102 and 103 belong to both groups, phones would show 2 missed calls for them(if that call was not answered at all) instead of one - one for group1:caller id and second for group2:group1:caller id.
    We used to have similar thing configured in old pstn pbx. 104 and 105 were configured to flash for the first 10 seconds on all incoming calls and ring only after that.
    Can it be achieved in a different way? Using 3cx V11 sp4 and cisco spa504g phones.
    Thank you!

2. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

While I grasp what you want to do, I am not sure I follow the logic behind it.

You have certain numbers in use which are all (at least in your scenario) initially directed to RG1. RG1 is comprised of some extension in a ring all strategy that will ring for 10 seconds before executing the next handling option which is to move to RG2 which is comprised of the sane extensions in RG 1 plus a couple of more and again in a ring all strategy.

I don't think you can get a history of where the call has been to show in the display. It is not clear to me what the significance is or how the people answering would react any differently from one RG to another. I assume that if they did not get to it while in RG1, there was good reason - maybe all were already on calls. Would a call coming in under while all busy start to show as missed calls?

I get the sense that there is a desired 10 second answer rule in place.

3. kristijonas

It's all about not bothering senior staff. If no one in the office would answer incoming calls in 10 secs (they were away for lunch, etc.), only then all phones (for regular workers AND senior staff) would ring.

4. jpillow

jpillow Well-Known Member

Yes I have a few client setup as such, You setup a ring group for x amount of call in the initial ring group and if no one answers select a destination for this call if this calll goes unanswered point call to ring group and have all the extensions in the original ring group in addition to addional extensions (senior staff) to handle those calls.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

The point was missed.

What significance is there in knowing rg1, rg2, caller I'd? Do the people answering react differently? I fully grasp having a Rg and then perhaps another Rg with added resources, but the question was more about seeing the ring group name(s) in front of the callerid.

6. jpillow

jpillow Well-Known Member

Yes you will see all information via caller ID for whatever you name the ring group , , phone number etc....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

But he doesn't want to see all the ring groups - just the initial number (DID) that was called to - I think...
    This way they can answer the call for the proepr business name...

I think...
    Ideally, 3cx would allow us to tag caller id for Queue, DID and Group separately, instead of 1 option.

8. kristijonas

As I've mentioned in my previous post, i can just name that second group as "." or something and it would not add much to the whole groupname:caller id line. The thing that bothers me most - 2 missed calls for group1 members instead of 1 (one for group1 and another one for group2:group1) when no one answered the call at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.