Multiple Voip Providers, call quality issues

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by mtheory3cx, Aug 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mtheory3cx

Does anyone have any experience with their 3CX using multiple voip providers (8+) and call quality issues? Client has been having call quality issues with 3CX v10 Call Center, using 10 softphones. I've VLAN'd their network to address QOS. It is a remote site that VPNs into a 3CX box located in a datacenter.

My main question is whether or not 8+ Voip providers on one PBX would be directly causing call quality issues? (e.g. choppy and/or one-way audio)
    There are other concerns that I'm looking into as well:

1) They're using 3CXPhone, which I'm told only uses G711u and cannot be changed. If they were using hard phones, then we could change the codecs to use less bandwidth.
    2) VPN encryption could be too heavy

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The number of VoIP providers, alone, won't affect call quality. the number of calls up, at any one time could.
    Is there a problem with a single call up, or does the problem occur after a few have been established?
    Are the issues always between the "remote" sets and an outside call, over any of the VoIP providers, or just some?
    Are there sets located at the same location as 3CX? If so, do they have issues? What about calls between extensions?
    Is audio forced to pass through 3CX?
    Have you tried using the sets without the VPN, as a test, to see if that is introducing any issues?
    Do you run, or have you tried running the 3CX Proxy Server at the remote end, or using the Tunnel (with the proxy server), rather than VPN?

Trying out a few alternative connection methods may lead to discovery of what is causing the problem.

3. mtheory3cx

Thanks for your detailed reply.

The way this 3CX system is set up is that the 3CX server is located at a datacenter. No office, no users. All connections are "remote". For this topic, we can that there are 2 remote sites. One remote site is using the Tunnel with soft phones, the other is using VPN with softphones. Each site is having issues. I concur about the number of concurrent calls, but for example, this morning only 2 users were making calls and they had call quality issues. Bandwidth is still good. And they're VLAn'd.

The issue is with all voip providers.
    As for your question about having audio forced through 3CX, if it doesn't, where else would/could it pass through?

Thanks for answering my main question about multiple Voip providers. I'll continue to look into different scenarios to fix call quality issues.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

From extension to extension, you can set it to pass all audio through 3CX (same thing will happen if you are set to record all calls). But, if one extension is connected to another the audio packets can just pass between the two devices. There is an option to that affect in each extensions settings.

You may have to resort to using Wireshark. It is possible that there is a hardware bottleneck, and the fact that two locations are having the same issue, it might just be at the server end.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.