Multiple Voip providers

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by rkboers, Jul 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rkboers

I got a question and I can't find a good answer for it. Today we had our VOIP provider down, all calls from and too external numbers where not available. So I am looking for a way to configure 3CX so that if one provider is down I can route my numbers to a secondary provider. Any ideas how this is possible to accomplish?
    So I am talking about using the same telephone numbers pointing at different providers, is that possible?

2. davidbenwell

davidbenwell Active Member

Hi,

Unfortunately this is not possible for inbound calls, outbound is not a problem.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. rkboers

Hello David,
    Thanks for your reply.
    So outbound can be done but inbound for our reservations department isn't possible.
    Well if we have a way so we can still call outbound would solve a little bit. But inbound calls are our mayor way of getting clients. If there is a way I think management wouldn't even look at the costs to implement a backup so they still receive inbound Phone calls.
    What is the best way to set 3cx up so they can still call outbound?

4. davidbenwell

davidbenwell Active Member

Who is your provider?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. rkboers

We are using Solcon as a provider (dutch provider)

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Because the public telephone number you use is hosted by your provider, they would have to have (provide), the ability to send those calls off to either another provider, or another server that they host. if they are unable, or unwilling (it would be admitting that they have issues on occasion),to do this, then there is nothing that you can do other than changing to a provider that offers some sort of back-up plan during the period that they experience a failure.

You can, of course, subscribe to a second provider, but, the billing number, and possibly, the number shown on outgoing calls may be different. this can be set-up as a second route, in the 3CX outbound rules

7. jpillow

jpillow Well-Known Member

Some VoIP providers have n automatic call forward if the trunk should fail you may want to contact your provider if so you can simply add a second voip provider and if the first trunk becomes unregistered the calls can be automatically forwarded the redundant trunk. In your outbound rules you simply have a second outbound rule pointing to the redundant trunk for outbound calls and again if your primary trunk is down calls will route to the second trunk per your outbound rule.

8. rkboers

Thanks for the replies everyone.
    Just got to ask, what is the best way to keep our inbound calls continue even if our VOIP provider goes down. This without looking at any costs ;)

9. ian.watts

ian.watts Active Member

A failover configuration should so the job.. calls "fail over" to another phone number on an alternative trunk provider.

10. cobaltit

cobaltit Active Member

Like Ian and others said, you want to ask your provider for call-forwarding options (busy, unavailable, always, etc). Then have them forward incoming calls to another VoIP provider or a PSTN provider. For outgoing, if you don't care about caller-id, you can have a second trunk of any sort as a fail-over route. If you do care about caller-id, then you need to find a provider that will let you push your published caller-id even though they don't provide incoming service for it.

11. rkboers

Thanks for the response everyone. The provider has also a backup system but due to security issues we where not capable of connecting to it. We got it now set, hope it won't fail anytime soon again. Thanks again for the response.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.