Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Music on Hold - MOH - quality - loudness

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by dbergsma, Feb 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbergsma

HI folks,

I've been using 3cx since v6 and am currently on 9 - going to 10 this week - and 3cx has worked very well for us.

A minor issue: Music on Hold sounds lousy and is too loud. I've used various shareware programs to reduce loudness, to play with various formats -- and the sound is not good. I'm hoping that somewhere, I missed something really easy.

We are a divorce company -- and while we don't require high fidelity and probably, will not be putting Led Zep on MOH, we would like MOH to sound reasonable.

Has anyone (1) taken a standard MP3 (2) done something to it (3) and it sounds reasonable at reasonable volume?

thanks for the help.
    Dean.

2. efounco

efounco New Member

I'm sorry, the MOH engine for 3CX was designed by Nigel Tufnel of Spinal Tap; up to eleven!!!

I've had moderate success with using Audacity to normalize MP3s. Then, rename the .MP3 to .WAV and dump it into the IVR\Prompt folder. Although 3CX V10 is said not to support .MP3 files, it seems to work OK by simply renaming the file. Unfortunately, anything with acoustical range is going to sound poor.

Version 11 of 3CX is said to include several improvements to the MOH service. Let's hope they also implement some volume or normalization controls to make it comparable with PBX systems from the 80's :)

3. tobbec

Hi,

The 3cx is using the internal mediaplayer of the computer , so start mediaplayer and change the volume there and your are all set with the loudness. !

-t

4. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

efounco, I appreciate your irony regarding 80's ;)
    use audio file: "8000 Hz 16bit mono PCM" normalized to -3 (better -6) Db. (50/25 percents of full range)
    use PCMU/PCMA. If you use GSM/G729 even volume (of what?) and normalization (to what?) will not provide good quality of the music...
    By following these simple rules you will get a good quality of sound.

tobbec, you are not right. "Media player" is not used.

dbergsma, I think that Led Zeppelin will sound much better then other "mp3". Just prepare file as described above.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. tobbec

Ok sorry then ;) But then we need to flame William and Chris that told me it uses Mediaplayer :)

-t

6. noddy184

Hi , i used Audacity to reduce the volume of my hold music wavs (typically by -20db) and then applied equalisation to strip out most of the frequencies below 200hz and above 3000hz. See attached screenshot. Seemed to work good then.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.