Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Music-on-hold > Streaming Music Input

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by Craig Allison, May 31, 2017.

Music-on-hold > Streaming Music Input 5 5 24votes
5/5, 24 votes

1. Craig Allison

Dear 3CX Development team,

Please investigate adding the functionality so that a streaming music service (eg. Spotify, Apple Music) can be added by a client/end-user as the music input for Music-on-hold, as an alternative to the current option of adding a set number of .wav files.

There is an ever increasing request by clients for this option given the prevalence of music streaming in the market.

Thanks

craigreilly and alfaswiss1 like this.
  2. TechJimF

3. Justin Scott

Unless your client reached terms with the streaming provider, they'd possibly be breaching all kinds of copyright laws to do with public broadcasting. It's why music on hold services charge what they do.

jbryant84, the60 and Nick Galea like this.
  4. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

Correct Justin. We include royalty free music on hold with each of our PBXs but there are lots to be purchased online, best to stick with those rather than streaming music. There are organisations that - believe it or not - spend their time calling up companies, listening to music on hold music and then sending bills. We have had many such reports. So buy music on hold rather than stream.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. ProudCanadian

Sorry to bring up a several month old thread, but I would love to +1 this suggestion. I have been trying to look into licensing for audio in Canada, and it seems like the cheapest easiest way to do it via a streaming subscription through one of the official companies. (Otherwise you pay a large fee per line per trunk).
    Not support for personal use services, but support to add commercially licensed streams.

6. sv9080w3u02

hello,
    in Canada, you need to pay to SOCAN when you stream music for hold-on phone system.
    http://www.socan.ca/

7. ProudCanadian

I realize that, but through browsing on their site I found somewhere that had licensed third parties you could subscribe to and part of that subscription included the tariff required for socan.

8. sv9080w3u02

interesting. thank you

9. benf

I know this is a tad old, but we have a 7 minute advertisement we would like to stream to the device. Maybe its not required, but on our asterisk server if you imported music it always starts at 0 , we want it to always be at a random spot so clients hear the different offerings. So on asterisk we streamed it with a linux media server and it works great. Im trying to do the same thing with a 3cx system.

10. Brad Allison

I think the initial request of Spotify or Apple music is easy enough to understand that is breaking copyright laws.

However, streaming hold music is a valid request. there are other PBX out there that will take a URL to a hold music file for the purpose of using a hosted file provided by a hold music company.

Also creating a driver to take the signal from a (LINE IN) to play MOH with would be great too.
    this could be a physical machine LINE IN or a network audio encoder line in for virtual machines.

Both streaming URL and LINE IN driver would be appreciated.

jbryant84 likes this.
  11. jbryant84

jbryant84 New Member

Support for the Mic input would be great. Some clients have had an existing hardware box with a 1/8" analog out that they're already familiar with how to configure and upload new music, being able to integrate that with 3cx would be amazing. I have some clients that I've given management console access solely for this purpose, and it's come with an learning curve of how to navigate and convert media files to a very specific .wav format.

#11 jbryant84, Oct 29, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    craigreilly likes this.
  12. Silly English Kniggit

Line in.... is this 1985? Try making that work on a VM running on a cloud. If you really want to do that - use a 3rd party box to output it as a stream..for...3CX..... oh.

Streaming - I can't personally see a use case for it, and I agree with the licensing concerns - but there are legitimate ways of doing this. Lets face it, although much improved - 3CX MoH is not as good as could be done using a external source. However I can see this being a lot of hassle, for something that's not used by that many people.

Those wanting iTunes or Spotify connection should give up dreaming because there's unlikely to be a way to do that legally - plus the nightmare of non-standard interfaces to deal with. A plain MP3/MP4 stream would be one thing - but iTunes / Spotify, forget it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. Ben FSUK

I'd much rather they work on improving the quality of uploaded files for MOH. So much quality is lost in the conversion process.

14. C1 Networx Inc

Hi,

We are a platinum partner and this is a HUGE request from a lot of potential clients (and current clients). In fact we lost a deal because we could NOT do line in or stream.

I was a professional wedding / school DJ for 12 years and fully understand the copyright rules. However (in Canada) there is an org called SOCAN, that for a small monthly fee your allowed to "rebroadcast" radio stations and other "legit" streaming sources in your business including MOH.

V12 had this why it was taken out is beyond me. As I do understand the difficulty of the Line / Mic in on a VM the "live stream url" sounds more feasible.

**BUMP**

15. voiptoys

voiptoys Active Member

It is my understanding that this feature was removed because the audio must be transcoded in real-time which requires a significant amount of processing power. It was decided to remove the feature to address CPU utilization concerns.

#15 voiptoys, May 24, 2018
    Last edited: May 24, 2018
  16. C1 Networx Inc

That's fine and to some degree I agree, however... That's why I said the "live stream url" makes much more sense.

17. Brad Cann

Brad Cann New Member

God 3cx is so light on CPU and most modern CPU's are so powerful, i can't believe this is even a concern nowadays. I more like to have choice, and if i choose to do something that uses more CPU time that is my choice, rather then having no choice.

Look i do get Music rights, much as a PITA that they are, but there are legit ways to do this, so why not give us the choice, rather then choosing for us.

18. Kim Jensen

Why this has to be a big discussion if have the license to stream or not. This is an option much needed and been the cause why some clients consider other PBX installations.

19. site

Why not add specific streaming services to plug in with SiriusXM has commercial subscriptions available for this purpose as well as SoundMachine (my favorite) as it allows complete customization of the channels, playlists, marketing, etc. it would be a simple setup to point to the SoundMachine account and then that would take care of all of the marketing side of the system. We use this on SONOS systems that we install in Dr. Offices, restaurants and retail and it has been a real winner. I would be happy with some type of virtual line in as well, then I could just use a SONOS plugged into that adapter to do the same thing.

20. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

how about a multicast listener for all music on hold - with url for each one - individually.

jbryant84 and JerN like this.