Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Mutli Length Extensions?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by TechJimF, May 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TechJimF

I am evaluating 3CX to replace our aging Avaya PBX. One of the things I have implemented is multi length extensions.

Currently I use the following:

4-digits for extensions and queue pilots
    6-digits for auxiliary extensions used by our tech group
    7-digits for inbound DNIS, receiving toll free numbers and DIDs

I initially setup my extension length in 3CX as 4-digits. I read on this board (can not find the thread) that going to Settings >Parameter Settings the ENL, extension number length can be changed. I have briefly tried it after creating a 4-digit extension. I changed the ENL to 7-digits and created a Digital Receptionist with a 7-digit number. Then switched back to 4-digit and everything worked.

Is this a viable solution? I would have my ENL set to 4-digits for extensions and when adding Digital Receptionists or DIDs for tollfree and local numbers only switch to 7-digits, then switch back. Also would switch for 6-digit auxiliary extensions.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

2. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello @TechJimF

Please note that 3CX is designed to work with one extension length across the board and changing extension lengths can cause serious issues with the stability of the system. I would recommend un-installing the system and re-installing it using one extension length.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.