MWI (Message Waiting Indicator) Light

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by spamoni, Aug 17, 2007.

1. spamoni

This feature is available with most, if not all of the other PBX's and phone services for Free. Why would you not provide this with the Free Version and require potential and exisiting customers to pay for this feature. This seems to be a rudimentary function and goes hand in hand with Voicemail support.

I have the free version installed and to date have been pleased, but still compare to trixbox on a regular basis. This feature is provided by Trixbox for Free.

2. Costas3CX

Costas3CX New Member

We are very happy to hear that you are pleased with our software. Every company has different marketing strategies to encourage users to buy their software. We offer 90-95 percent of the functionality of our PBX for free. For those who need those additional features we have the paid versions. After all we are not a non-profit organization. Perhaps you can look into the SB (Small business version) which supports quite a few more features than the free version.

Here is a table for comparing which features are offered on every version.
    http://www.3cx.com/phone-system/enterprise-features.html

Thanks again for your positive comments.

3. spamoni

SB Version

I would consider it, however the only additional feature offered, aside from the call assistant is MWI. I cannot see spending $350 for the MWI feature, 150 for upgrade assurance and 125 for email support. Basically that would be $625, just so I can get the MWI feature.

Are you sure there is nothing you can do to enable the MWI feature?

4. 5qg4

5qg4 Active Member

If upgrade to Small Business Edition the Number of Extensions will from Unlimited to 25 ONLY and etc ........ If 25 extensions is not enough, please consider the Professional Edition.

Both Professional Edition and FREE Edition are Unlimited Number of Extensions.

5. spamoni

Okay???

so again -- why would I pay $625 for MWI and based on your email, a limited amount of connections when the free is unlimited?

6. 5qg4

5qg4 Active Member

Referred to Costas3CX - 3CX Team
    This is the rule of the game. I also have a question for why the SBE will limited the extensions to 25???????? I think most of peoples are preferred free edition. If the can accepted 3CX's terms.

If users accepted/suffer the limited feature of free edition then I think 3CX will welcome them still using free edition.

If users not accepted / suffer the limited features of free edition then they must consider paid version or quit.

Please be reminder the add-on features at coming version will not free. Then the functions gap between free and paid version will become more......... That is the marketing strategies to encourage users to buy this software

7. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

The small business version is for small businesses only with less then 25 extensions. If you have more then that, you will have to go for the PRO edition. If you have paid for more then 25 phones with MWI indicator, i think you can afford to pay for the software as well.

I think you will find that all versions of 3CX are very reasonably priced.

I trust this answers the question and that we can close this topic.

8. RobLloyd

RobLloyd Member

I think the free version should be limited to maybe 10 extensions and 4 lines. Otherwise it does look like you have to pay to loose extensions and gain the WMI.
    I think 3CX is being overly generous with the free version.

9. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

Rob,

Thanks for your feedback. We wish to keep the free edition for unlimited extensions and available to all. Users can check if they have new voice mail messages via the Call Assitant as well, even in the free edition.

Of course there must be certain features that make it worthwhile to upgrade to the full versions. If you can afford to buy 100 phones with MWI light (probably around $100 each) then we feel its only fair that they pay something for the software as well.

10. spamoni

MWI

All,

Thanks for the feedback. The purpose was not to cause any issues but rather determine the advantage of going from Free to Small Business.

I think 3CX has a great product here and have been pleased with all functionality to date. So by no means take my question out of context. My perception of what I will gain for the money Versus the intent is obviously different and can be explained.

11. AMC

AMC

Any plans for releasing an evaluation version of the Enterprise Edition?

12. jrme1

Re:

I think the free edition is good for all. For users because have oportunity for use unlimited extension and few external lines free. And for 3CX because the users with the 3cx free edition help (testing harware, compability, find bugs, etc) for improve the next versions and of course for improve also the paid version.

Is a relationship good for all :!:

13. RobLloyd

RobLloyd Member

I can see this as a valid 30 day eval for the integration with Exchange 2007+. Other than that the free version covers more than enough right?

14. 5qg4

5qg4 Active Member

Yes. 30 days should be OK for who want to eval the Enterprise Edition. Better than now, all the Enterprise Edition feature had been disabled at Free Edition.

15. keith.bucknall

I would also agree with Rob that a medium needs to be reached with the Free "unlimited" ext's Vs the SB edition with MWI and 25 ext's.

We have an office of any 9 ext and i would be happy to pay a "small" fee for say the Free+ Version for a SB Lite version that is limited to 10 ext but have the MWI feature.

Keith

16. RobLloyd

RobLloyd Member

I think $350 is more than fair for the software as an "upgrade" from the free version. I don't see a need for more versions or client licenses as the price points on all the levels are well within reason.

It seems strange a company would have such a great product with only 1 real limitation (WMI) not being available. I'm so used to locked or timed software! :)

17. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

We are planning a 30 day eval for version 4. That said, we feel that the free edition really goes a long way in showing what the product can do.

Thanks for all the feedback!

18. AMC

AMC

I look forward to trying all the features in the v4 evaluation. Any date for the release?