Solved My certs got overwritten

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by datamerge, Jun 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. datamerge

datamerge New Member

OK, so here's a strange one.

I have been running PBX Edition in AWS for testing. I wanted to use one of my standard licences to test so I could increase functionality (use BLF). I also wanted to restore my production in-house instance so I had all my settings and advanced config.

I did the following steps.

1. apt-get purge 3cxpbx
    2. apt-get install 3cxpbx
    3. Ran the setup wizard. Chose restore. Chose to get a new let's encrypt cert. Filled in the rest.

The installer finished and all looked good EXCEPT....my new certificates have the content of my old certificates. The names have changed to the new name, but the CONTENT is from the certs (different filenames) in my backup. This causes a cert error and I can't even access the web page by dns name. I can't provision phones either.

So, is there an easy way to retrieve my actual certificate and key from somewhere to copy them back in over the top of the broken ones? If not what do I do to recover from this? If I start again I will end up at the same place unless I can manage to sneak in part way through the install wizard and rescue my letsencrypt certificates before the restore process replaces them again.

2. StefanW

StefanW Head of Customer Support and Training
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Just to confirm, the restored was made from a backup without the option to use "Key and FQDN Infromation" right?
    Or did you pressed the back button to get to the "domain" selection. This will cause your issue and the developer are aware of this.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. datamerge

datamerge New Member

HI Stefan,

I did use my production daily backup which does have the FQDN backed up. I wondered if it would be a problem, but when I DID press the back button and I could overwrite it I thought I was onto a winner. So that is why it is broken, but do I need to backup again without FQDN and reinstall, or is there a way to retrieve my certificate and key files to manually replace the incorrect ones?

4. datamerge

datamerge New Member

A quick update. I did another backup without the FQDN and redid the process on my cloud instance and it now works fine.

5. StefanW

StefanW Head of Customer Support and Training
    Staff Member 3CX Support

no you need to make the backup as requiered, and back in the assistant will not "do the trick" and will be blocked in the next version to avoid this outcome

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.