My experiences and questions after upgrading to 5.1

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Ryandc, May 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryandc

I was, until Sunday, using 3cx v3.1. I'd attempted to upgrade to version 5.0 previously, but it didn't handle SIP trunking elegantly. So I decided to wait. Sunday, I took the plunge and installed 5.1. Here's what I did, warts and all.

Backed up 3.1
    Uninstalled 3.1
    Installed 5.1 using MSI installer.
    Tested calling a few extensions (I did the update from home, not the office). Things seemed happy, so I was happy.

Problems I ran into:
    1) Backup does not include your license key. So if you do a backup, uninstall, reinstall, and reinstate backup, your queues won't function until you apply the license key again.
    2) The upgrade mysteriously offed approximately half of our SPA-922s and our SPA-962. Our Grandstream phones were unaffected. The affected Linksys phones were running firmware including 5.1.5a, 5.2.8, and 5.2.5. Same with the working phones. Had to factory reset the bad phones and reconfigure them. Still haven't figured out what this happened the way it did, and I'm apparently not the only one it's happened to (someone else posted about having the same issue with the SPA-942s). The SPA phones could receive calls but could not make them (either internal or external) prior to a factory reset; 3cx returned an error that source could not be verified.
    3) Previously working DIDs failed to function. Discovered that this is due to my old DIDs not having assigned names. You can restore a backup including nameless DID numbers, but those DID numbers won't work until you go into each of their respective setting pages and give them a name.
    4) New version of call assistant doesn't dispaly number of callers in a queue. It mystifies me that this feature is gone.
    5) Can still navigate to http://serveriphere/callassistant.php, but when you click on the call assistant, server returns an error.

Thigns I really like:
    1) Caller ID displays correctly. Not just two identical numbers, but name and number. I can also use the "have DID in place of Caller ID" number on my DID so that some of our personnel can answer the phone according to the source of the call.
    2) Can make changes to your own configuration through the new CallAssistant/VOIP. Great feature, saves me a lot of trouble.
    3) Provisioning, though it's not well-documented. I have my own solution for it, but it's still nice to know it's there.

Things I have high hopes for but haven't tested yet:
    1) Tunnelling using CallAssistant. Going to try this one out today when I get home.
    2) Fax. That'll be tested today.

Anyone know why they pulled queue status out of CallAssistant (as in, how many people are in a given queue, NOT a member's individual logged-in/logged-out status)? The documentation says it should be there, I just don't see it.

-Ryan

2. gtshighland

Any word on the call assistant?

Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.