• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

MyPhone and Remote Desktop Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamyoung

Reaction score
I understand that the Silverlight based MyPhone is being depreciated and replaced with an integrated phone client.

Will this run on Remote Desktop Services, to control a deskphone?

@adamyoung

There's no reason it shouldn't, with the only condition being that the desk phone has to be on the same subnet as the computer running MyPhone.

Thanks for the update @cobaltit

My thoughts were more that as the two elements are combined, whether the softphone would be live, and user could attempt to answer the call, with the audio coming through the TS session.

@adamyoung

Audio wouldn't be an issue, but I don't think I've ever done a mic thru TS... Haven't come across any scenarios where I would want to use the softphone in TS, although I can see that coming up in the future...

Might be time to test that out.

Why does the phone and the desktop have to be on the same subnet? Is phone control done through broadcast/multicast? Kind of defeats the purpose of putting your phones in a VLAN. And most of the time Servers/Desktops are not in the same subnet, at least on any decent sized network. So even if your desktop and phone happened to be on the same subnet the server your accessing via remote desktop most likely isn't.

netswork said:
Why does the phone and the desktop have to be on the same subnet? Is phone control done through broadcast/multicast? Kind of defeats the purpose of putting your phones in a VLAN. And most of the time Servers/Desktops are not in the same subnet, at least on any decent sized network. So even if your desktop and phone happened to be on the same subnet the server your accessing via remote desktop most likely isn't.
You are correct... I can be in Starbucks on wifi and use the new phone to send a call via my desk phone.

The softphone/presence and the deskphone do not communicate directly. If you place a call from myphone/new windows phone using CTI then 3cx sends a "MakeCall" call to your deskphone, which when answered then starts the outbound call. But the softphone and the desk phone can be in two different countries.

It was either one of the blog posts related to the v12 beta, or it was at the last training with Kevin that at this time, for the CTI to work, both devices had to be on the same subnet. I'll see if I can't track that down.

Hi Gents

The real answer to this is "it depends" ;)

If you are using a "MyPhone" to command a deskphone via "URL Dialing", then the PBX MACHINE needs to be able to send HTTP requests (and receive responses) to the DeskPhone. If the PBX can route to the ip address or fqdn within the "URL", then it will work. In the VAST majority of cases, it tends to imply that the phone and the PBX need to be on the same subnet. BUT it is NOT an absolute requirement, in the sense that if you publish a phone's HTTP service in some way:

EITHER by having a phone directly on the WAN (complete with the related security nightmares)

OR by having the phone behind a WAN-to-LAN device and port-forwarding HTTP traffic towards the phone (complete with the related IT management nightmares)

Unless I have misunderstood the question ?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Members Online Now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hammad.k
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.