MyPhone app not working for one user

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by cbongard, Feb 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cbongard

The user will make changes to the extension "forwarding" rules, the user will hit "apply" but the changes won't actually be reflected (if I were to look at the admin console, his changes do not show up).

I checked the list of 3CX MyPhone Clients and and I see the user logged in three times, even though he does not have the application running.

Is this the cause of the problems? Is there a way to "kill" the MyPhone connections without restarting 3CX services?

When I log in from my PC using the 3CX MyPhone client, I can make the changes and they are accepted/reflected in the admin console.

Thoughts?

BTW: 3CX v11 SP4 - SMB license.

2. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

Is it possible that the user has the application loaded onto more than one system?

Is it possible that the user had it loaded on a computer used previously, but now someone else has that computer; yet the account still exists?

Is the user still using the browser to start up MyPhone or have they installed the desktop components?

You might want to take a look at the 3CX MyPhone Clients tab inside of 3CX itself. You can see the installations as well as their status and IP.

3. cbongard

The three connections are all coming from the same IP.

I had the user reboot their machine to try to "clear" the connections.

I also had the user remove the 3CX application, clear their Silverlight application settings, as well as clear IE settings.

I then had the user also try to access the application from within the browser.

I also had the user try to access the MyPhone configuration from ANOTHER PC...with the same results.

I have had this happen ONCE before (in SP2), I restarted the services to resolve it last time...and it looks like that is the only resolution this time too.

4. lneblett

Got it, but am not certain that the steps you took from the user-end are instantaneously recognized on the 3CX end. My take is that there is some kind of refresh cycle that takes place from the client app back to 3CX. If the refresh fails to occur then the 3CX side updates according by no longer showing. I assume that if you do a proper exit from the system the client may advise the server that an instance has stopped.

My guess is that given enough time, the server will adjust to showing the correct number of MyPhone apps running, I am just not certain how long that is.

The question in my mind is how the 3 instances got started in the first place and does this occur with any frequency? You should be able to look in the system tray and/or the task manager and see how many copies might be running at anyone time.

5. cbongard

Even after a server reboot, the problem persists.

I am now only showing the user logged in once, but the 3CX MyPhone forwarding rules tab does not match what is set on the server side...

This is a BIG problem for us. This particular extension's forwarding rules are often modified and if the end-user is not receiving the appropriate information via the 3CX MyPhone app, then what good is it?

I have logged in on my PC, which I thought was working before, but it doesn't appear to match anymore.

I am, and my end-user, is afraid of using the software for the fear that the forwarding rules will be wrong and important (customer service) calls will be lost...

I really need some assistance with this one.

6. cbongard

Recreating the extension took care of the problem.

This is definitely a bug and should be pushed up to 3CX.

7. lneblett

It would be helpful to know what recreating the extension means -

You went into 3CX and deleted the extension, then recreated there? Did you reuse the same PIN? Did you do anything with the MyPhone app at all?

I have MyPhone installed all over and have not run into your issue. It all seems run OK, so am uncertain as to what actually caused your situation and therefor if really a bug and how to report it.

Check your office hour settings. It is mandatory that office hours be set. There were some issues with how status changes occurred - http://www.3cx.com/forums/myphone-changing-status-incorrectly-31428.html#p137883

See the above link as I had submitted a ticket.

Not sure if exactly your issue, but I still encourage you to set the hours no matter what and see what happens.

8. cbongard

Yes, I deleted the extension in the Admin console and recreated it there. I used ALL the same settings, including the same PIN number.

What do you mean, "did I do anything with MyPhone"? Can you give me some ideas of what information you are looking for?
    1. I tried "removing the MyPhone application" from the end-user's computer.
    2. I tried having the user access the MyPhone "website" and not run the application from the shortcut on their desktop.
    3. I had the user access the same extension on a different computer, using both the shortcut and the website.
    4. I accessed the user's extension from my computer, using both the shortcut and the website.
    5. I tried clearing temp files, clearing internet temp files/cookies, resetting internet explorer settings - all with the same result.
    6. I tried restarting all 3CX services.
    7. I tried rebooting the actual windows server.
    8. I even tried mirroring the MyPhone settings in the admin console (Ex: MyPhone reported that it was sending calls to the "Mobile Phone" when out of office, but the admin console showed it going to voicemail. So, I would change the admin console to "mirror" the settings that the MyPhone app/website was reporting.) My hope in doing this was the MyPhone and phone system would "match" and the MyPhone would start working....Unfortunately, this didn't fix it either. Even after triple-checking the settings matched, I still couldn't change the settings through the MyPhone app.

All of the above had the same result - the MyPhone app/website was reporting different settings for each status than what the admin console was reporting. The settings for the statuses wouldn't "Apply" properly. (In other words, the user would change it in the MyPhone app/website, click Apply, and/or OK, exit the app/website, log back in, and the settings would revert back). I would also check the admin console after the changes were made, and there was no update.

I have both Global and "personal" office hours set. This extension is configured to change status between Out of Office and Available. Globally, office hours are 7am-6pm. This extension is configured with office hours of 7am-5pm. The status changes have been working flawlessly for us, so I do not believe I encountered the bug you had reported in your linked post.

I hope this explains the issue and the troubleshooting steps I took. I had checked all the 3CX logs on the server but didn't find anything relevant. Does the "MyPhone" app have logging? That is the only thing I didn't check.

Unfortunately, I couldn't leave this extension in a "failing" state to continue to troubleshoot the issue. I HAD to get this fixed yesterday.

I have, however, had this happen once before on another system, but a quick service restart resolved the issue.

9. lneblett

When you indicated that you recreated the extension, I merely wanted to be certain you meant the extension in 3CX or the extension with regard to the app. or even both.

What operating system is 3CX running on and the one user? I am beginning to wonder if on only the one computer if there might be a firewall issue on the one. Is the one computer remote or local? Could Windows firewall possibly be interfering? As calls and other aspects occur with 3CX, do these reflect in the app?

It is only the status changes giving the heartburn.

Yes, the app has a log. Look in c:\program data\3cx\data\logs ...not sure how informative, but hey who knows.

Thanks for the details. I do not know of an instance when I have had this. My customers may have had and not advised; hence my interest if it should come up.

10. cbongard

Not a problem! I am happy to help "fix" problems if they come up. I wish I could have left this issue longer to troubleshoot and find the root cause, but this really is a critical feature for us. We use this "virtual" extension to forward support calls to individual users after hours...so, the forwarding options are updated fairly often (maybe every couple of days). With the recent weather troubles, this feature was relied upon because users couldn't make it through the 40 inches of snow!

3CX is running on a Windows Server 2003 Standard, 32-bit, with all the latest service packs and MS updates. The client is running Windows 7 64bit...I did not try accessing the MyPhone app using Windows XP (sorry, didn't think about that one).

We turn off Windows firewall via group policy...unfortunately, that isn't the problem. The user is on the local network. When I tested it, I am working remotely from their phone system....so, that takes that out of the picture.

Yes, other aspects seem to reflect in the app, it is only the modification of forwarding rules (not status changes), that are a problem.

Another interesting tidbit, is the "status" in the upper left-hand corner was correct. For example, the extension was set (in the admin console) to "Out of Office" and was configured to forward to the "Mobile Phone". This was properly displayed in the upper left-hand corner, but when the user went to the "Forwarding Rules" tab, and chance to the "Out of Office" settings, it showed the extension forwarding to the voicemail. Very weird issue!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.