• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

MyPhone external configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeputnam

Reaction score
Sorry if this is posted somewhere else. I did a search but didn't come up with anything.

Is there a way to configure MyPhone to talk to a public IP address for those that work both internally and externally to the office LAN? Ideally, you could switch it like 3CXPhone.

Thanks,

Mike

You can solve this by using the external DNS name and in your local DNS server point that to your internal IP of your 3CX server.

Thanks for responding.

I've used this solution before in other scenarios, but was hoping for a "supported" method of doing this.

I'll give it a go.

Thanks again,

Mike

Edit: Now that I look further into this, I'm not sure this will work. We use our domain to point to other, external servers that we use in our day to day operations. By statically assigning that domain in our DNS (AD), we effectively will lose proper lookup for other records. I think I'm just going to create an "exteranal" shortcut on the desktop that that will point to our public IP address.

May be not necessary, but lets summarize -- you need to forward TCP port 5000 from public address to internal address of your 3CX server (like other ports). The rest is DNS settings, if you have sip.example.com pointing to your public address when resolved outside of the office and pointing to internal address when resolved inside the office, you may access MyPhone like: http://sip.example.com:5000/myphone from everywhere.
No idea how you handle the case, if you have installed myphone as standalone application, except using a VPN tunnel to your office, if you are outside. Using a tunnel may be is safer approach.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deanhbs
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.