need clarity on master and slave ports

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by webguyz, Feb 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webguyz

webguyz New Member

I have a single Skype number for inbound and outbound use. Do I need to set up 2 skype gateway ports? 1 master for the inbound only and 1 slave for outbound only?

Right now I have just the master on a single port for both inbound and outbound calls and it works but I hear static from the persons I'm calling and they can hear me OK.

After doing some lurking its not clear if a minimum of 2 ports on the 3cx skype gateway if you have just a single skype account for inbound and outbound calling.

Thanks!
    Andy

2. Vali_3CX

Vali_3CX Well-Known Member
    Staff Member 3CX Support

If you plan to use the same Skype account for all channels, then better is to configure the gateway as "without master".
    Master channel is designed to act as a dispatcher for incoming Skype calls, and having a "public", or ""well-known" Skype account, while its slaves having "private", or "known only by you" Skype accounts. This configuration is like common "diverting call" operation.

Without master and using the same Skype account for all its channels, the gateway works like having many phones on the same extension: somebody calls that extension - in our case the Skype account - and a phone answers. Somebody make another call to that Skype extension, then another phone answers and so on.

Hope I explained ok.

P.S In case of without-master-and-same-skype-acccount configuration, I recommend you, in gateway's File/Settings/Advanced dialog, to set "Enable Ring All behavior..." option (on the bottom side). This option directs the gateway to close the incoming Skype call ONLY when a SIP partner answer it (or until Skype caller gets bored and close the call). Why is important: when you have an incoming Skype call on 4-channel gateway, four SIP destinations will be contacted. If one of them is not registered, is on DND, or its PSTN is on "End call" mode, then initiating call should be ended - but it still has three SIP partners who could answer - and this option ensure the Skype call is not ended.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. webguyz

webguyz New Member

Will remove the master and see how it goes.

Thanks!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.