• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Need some answers for V5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralph

Reaction score
Good morning,

We have a client that we need to move to VoIP as soon as possible.
3CX is our preference for this implementation provided a production version of the V5 software is available in time (they are very impatient and want to move fast on this). So naturally I have a couple questions :lol:

1. When can we realistically expect a production release of V5 3CX?
2. Is caller ID (name) now working in V5?
3. We where originally planning on implementing a vpn endpoint at each branch of this particular client for VoIP. I read that V5 has a vpn capability? Can v5 3cx now creat a vpn connection for external phones (polycom, grandstream)?

BTW I like all the new features and having all the features available in all the commercial versions is very nice.

Thanks again

You may run into problems with those VPN end points. See here for the problems I was having:

http://www.3cx.com/forums/categories-1/3cx-phone-system-general-1/v5---where-has-external-extension-option-gone-3349/

More information from Stepan:

"If PBX host doesn't have direct connection to the network where phone is resided then treats connection as external and uses external addresses."

As far as I can tell, using a hardphone with the VPN client would involve having a host PC turned on and connected at all times. This may, or may not, be a problem. (I may also have the wrong end of the stick with this).

JamesC said:
You may run into problems with those VPN end points. See here for the problems I was having:

http://www.3cx.com/forums/categories-1/3cx-phone-system-general-1/v5---where-has-external-extension-option-gone-3349/

More information from Stepan:

"If PBX host doesn't have direct connection to the network where phone is resided then treats connection as external and uses external addresses."

As far as I can tell, using a hardphone with the VPN client would involve having a host PC turned on and connected at all times. This may, or may not, be a problem. (I may also have the wrong end of the stick with this).

... or PBX host (host PC turned on and connected at all times?) can be involved...

Good morning

Good morning,

I need to make sure I understand this properly.

Currently with 3CX we are looking at the following configuration:

SIP Phone ->VPN Endpont->Internet->VPN Router->3CX Server

How would this change with V5 of 3CX?
Would I not be able to do this with V5 3CX?

or would the diagram be more like the following with V5:
SIP Phone->Internet->3CX Server
with 3CX providing the VPN/security?

Thanks again

Re: Good morning

Ralph said:
Good morning,

I need to make sure I understand this properly.

Currently with 3CX we are looking at the following configuration:

SIP Phone ->VPN Endpont->Internet->VPN Router->3CX Server

How would this change with V5 of 3CX?
Would I not be able to do this with V5 3CX?

or would the diagram be more like the following with V5:
SIP Phone->Internet->3CX Server
with 3CX providing the VPN/security?

Thanks again

Is it possible to have "SIP Phone ->(VPN)->3CX Server" style of connection?

Thanks

Good afternoon

A SIP Phone->VPN->3CX Server type of connection or better put a
SIP Phone->Secure->3CX Server connection would be possible if both 3CX and the SIP phone were able to use a protocol or software that allowed for encryption of the data stream.

I take it that this is not currently supported in any version of 3CX?

If this is the case then will I be able to use the following configuration with V5?
SIP Phone->VPN Endpoint->Internet->VPN Router->3CX Server.

We have used the above configuration in our tests with V3 and it worked fine. I am concerned because there appear to be some issues in V5?

Thanks again

I'm also hit the same issue at V5.
SIP devices(Gateways, hardphone and softphone) ->VPN Router->Internet->VPN Router->3CX Server.
Remote branch <---> LAN 2 LAN VPN <----> HQ office 3CX BOX
The same setting works fine at V3.1. However, one way voice issue found at V5 all version. Up to 3CX Phone System v5.0.3648.0 still not fixed. I never imagine that LAN 2 LAN VPN also get one way voice issue at VoIP. May be my wrong setting cause this issue. Does anyone know how to setup LAN 2 LAN VPN with V5 which can works fine like V3.1?

Good evening

It sounds as though they need to put back the ability to manually uncheck or turn off the external extension mode.

This is a pretty serious issue. Anyone know if there is a fix or work around that would allow the use of VPNs??

hi

I am running the latest version of V5 ( free ). I have a site 2 site ipsec vpn between 2 sites and using either xlite or pheenet ip phones i am able to have 2 way audio between the sites calling from either end.

The system was upgraded to ver 5 from 3 and no changes were made to the extensions.The pbx delivers audio is not checked for the extn that is on the remote site.

rgds

mbs

Good morning

Thanks for the info MBS.

Just to clarify:

You currently have the following configuration:

SIP Phone->VPN Endpoint->Internet->VPN Router->3CX Server

and it works fine with the new version of 3CX (v5)?

Thanks again

hi ralph,

yes i have the configuration you have shown and i have tried this with Xlite, a pheenet ip phone and a linksys spa901 and all three work with audio both ways. i have also tried from a remote end to a provider configure with fwd and that works as well.

The vpn is a site to site ipsec.

I am not using sip domain in the configuration, i just set the register ip address to the private ip address of the 3cx pbx

rgds

mbs

Thanks

That is excellent news :D

Since we have to use site to site vpn for security I was a bit worried :shock:

Thanks again MBS

Hi Ralph,

You currently have the following configuration:

SIP Phone->VPN Endpoint->Internet->VPN Router->3CX Server

and it works fine with the new version of 3CX (v5)?

After applied "Patch for Version 5.0.3648", all remote SIP device(s) works.

Thanks for 3CX team quick respond to fixed this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deanhbs
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.