Need some help - Anyone?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by andykeen, Aug 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andykeen

Hi All.

Ok - so I own an I.T. company and I want to put in to our offices an auto-attendant (PC Based) system.

We have 2 incomming phone lines - and a powerful spare PC'.

I would like to know what hardware I need - i.e. some sort of voice modem? - phones etc - (We have a PC for the software and a network for routing) - but I am getting no-where trying to find out what hardware i need for the PC.

I only want 2 extensions - ideally on one analogue line only.

Can anyone please point me in the right direction.

Thank you and Regards
    Andy Keen

2. mfm

mfm Active Member

For two extensions you need the bare minimum. 1 gig ram, 3.2 GHZ etc. All this information can be found on our manual.

http: //www.3cx.com/manual/3CXPhoneSystemManual9.pdf NO LONGER AVAILABLE. NEW LINK: http://www.3cx.com/docs/manual/

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. andykeen

Thank you for the information.

More specifically I am struggling to find out what piece of hardware (i.e the Voice Modem etc) that I should use.

The actual spec of the PC is fine - no issue there - but the modem spec is not clear to me.

Does this guide (that you have recommended) give me that information?

Thank you
    Regards
    Andy

4. mfm

mfm Active Member

Hi,

Modem ? you mean PSTN device, that are various that support.

http://www.3cx.com/voip-gateways/

Since you only need one line you can go for the smaller Devices, having 1 or 2 ports linke the linksys. It depends on your budget besides your requirements. If you want one built in then sangoma is also a good choice.

Once you do decide on a pstn device go ahead and download the free version of 3cx, and see how you run with that.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. andykeen

Thank you -

OK understand that is a PSTN device I need.

I have been on the page you have linked too before and its not clear how I purchase (or find out the cost) the PSTN device.

And... there are so many.

How do I find the price and where to purchase the PSTN board?
    Also - I am in the UK - so presume I can locate those devices over here?

Thank you and Regards
    Andy

6. mfm

mfm Active Member

Hi Andy,

As 3cx we do not sell PSTN devices, if you wait till the morning a reseller who does will contact you on the forums. There are plenty of them. Alternatively you can contact your sales regional manager for 3cx and he will guide you to a reseller.

7. andykeen

Thank you mfm.

I am beginning to get it now - have found quite a few boards I can buy and use - thank you for your help.

Just out of interest - I have found a board - Sangoma A200-S FXS Module (2 Ports)
    Am I right in thinking that I connect one of these ports to the analogue phone line and the software does the rest?

If so - Are the remaining ports going to the IP phones etc.

FYI - the board can be found here: http://www.voipon.co.uk/sangoma-a200s-fxs-module-2-ports-p-396.html

Thanks again.
    Regards
    Andy.

8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Make sure that the device you choose is compatible with 3CX, especially a PC board, many are Linux based.

If you are just going to using one PSTN line (FXO port) and two analogue sets (FXS ports) then you can go with a few different devices. The Linksys SPA3102 provides one FXS and one FXO. Grandstream also makes a similar device as do others. You would then require one more device with an additional FXS port. There are a number to choose from that have a single port and some with two ports (or more). Grandstream has a single line the HT286 which is about the least expensive one you'll find, there is the Patton M-ATA at close to twice the price. Two port models include the Linksys PAP2T , SPA2102 and the Grandstream HT502. Prices can vary, so once you've settled on which device(s) you want, do thorough on line search.

9. mfm

mfm Active Member

Hi,

If I had to recommend a board I would go for the patton 4112, you have 2 lines on it, just in case you ever need a second one, and patton are still delivering firmware updates for it. Not to mention its dead simple to set up with 3cx ( 3cx generates all the config for you and you simply upload it) and get it running.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.