Need to be able to have time zone aware Inbound Rules etc.

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by brendan.helsham, May 11, 2016.

Need to be able to have time zone aware Inbound Rules etc. 5 5 7votes
5/5, 7 votes

1. brendan.helsham

When configuring ‘Specific Office Hours’ (Inbound Rules, individual extensions etc.), we need the ability to associate a time zone with these specific office hours (like when provisioning a phone), so that we don’t need to change dozens of settings every 6 months when DST starts or ends for rules that apply to offices in a different time zone to the server.

o I also think that the actual entries for the office hours need to be in the local time zone. For example, with our clients that have an Office in QLD or WA (neither observe DST), I can create the inbound rule for these offices to open from 8am to 5pm, and they will automatically move forward and back an hour with DST in NSW. Also, by being able to configure these times in the local time, I don’t have to pre-configure the offset to NSW, especially as this changes during the year.

2. brendan.helsham

Here we are nearly 18 months later and preparing to do the timezone dance this weekend. What a pain the backside. Disappointing that this idea managed to only attract 2 votes. Are we the only people that build systems that span timezones?

3. Brad Cann

Brad Cann New Member

Don't live in them backwards states then :)

NSW for the win.

4. Brad Cann

Brad Cann New Member

seriously though why are you not using the time zone settings in the phone provisioning that was release with 15.5 sp1? that should make the phone work in the local time zone no matter what the "Global" time zone is.

Attached Files:

5. brendan.helsham

That's fine for the displayed time on the phone, but no good for creating an inbound rule to fire properly for a DID that is in a non-DST supported timezone.

So, more specifically, we have several clients that span Australia. Twice a year, we need to manually muck around with the inbound rules applicable to their QLD/WA locations, as the server is hosted in NSW. All inbound rules are relative to the system-wide timezone, but using the QLD office example, if the inbound rule was set to be M-F 9am-5pm, we have to change it to 10am-6pm during DST and back again in April.

It's a colossal pain in the backside...

6. brendan.helsham

Only 2 votes for this idea? No-one else thinks it would be a good idea to open up the timezone option when specifying custom hours for an Inbound Rule or an Extension? Like you can for phone provisioning?

Anyone?

7. voiptoys

voiptoys Active Member

I agree, this is messy. You could build a CFD application for making routing decisions for you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Greg Wong

+1 Looking for this feature

At the moment to make an inbound call flow with a modifyable "Night Mode", I have had to create an extension used for their main number to come in to (standard user type extension which I refer to as an "Inbound Management Extension"), where, when set to available, it forwards to the Call queue I have created for their branch, or when it is set to DND it goes to a mobile after hours, which the staff at that branch can update by logging in to the "Inbound Management Extension" I created.

I have set times for "Office Hours" for this, but as soon as Daylight savings hits, this is going to go out of whack and I am going to have to go through each one of these extensions and work out the time off-set and update the office hours.

I know you can set a time zone when provisioning a phone, but there is no option unless you add a phone in, would be nice to have the options within the extension itself whether or not there is a phone attached so that I can just leave a specific set of times and it will do its own time zone mathmatics.

Note: I think this would benefit ALOT of current people/companies, also alot of new ones, as if they are talking to their I.T. providers on what phone system to go for based on features and flexibility, I can only assume that some people would say "go with IPFX" or "Get an Asterisk based PBX", since they know the options are not in 3CX.

Also, to further this, I think having an option to create an "Inbound Management" extension would be amazing. e.g. one where it has all options that a normal extension has, hidden, so only call forward rules, presence and office hours are visible and can be managed from the web client, it would be a super powerful option in the arsenal!