Need To Move Data To Different Drive

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by ehrendreich, Feb 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ehrendreich

Our storage is running low. I would like to add a hard drive and relocate the databases to it. I have no idea how to do this. Any ideas?

2. mfm

mfm Active Member

Hi,

What do you mean by relocate the databases to it?

Would you like to move the entire server or only particular files?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ehrendreich

Sorry about that.... overworked IT manager here.. lol I need to move them either to a different drive or on our server.

4. mfm

mfm Active Member

Hi,

Were all workaholics on these forums, so welcome ehrendriech. Having said that I still havent got a proper idea what you want. Do you want to move the entire 3cx server, recording, calls or otther to the server, you need to be a bit more specific :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. ehrendreich

Thank you for your reply. I currently have one hard disk that both the operating system and the phone system reside. I am running out of room on this drive. I need to move the 3cx databases to another hard drive. I have not installed this other drive yet but will once I know what to do for moving the data. So ie.... everything is located on the C drive. I am going to add a D drive and need to move the data over to that drive. I am running XP SP3. It has been a long time since I have worked with postgres. I hope that this helps to explain my issue.

6. abc123

abc123 Active Member

3cx stores most of its data in the Program Data folder under v2 profiles and under app data in v1 (yours). Although there are some parameters that can be changed it wont help you and wouldnt recommend it.

Recordings can be placed on a different server and/or drive which helps. This is under Settings > General and the Global Options tab. You will need to set the necessary permissions on the folder/drive you move to.

I would recommend moving your recordings to your new D drive and leave everything else as those files will be small compared to the recordings.

Given that you are also an IT Manager, I would assume that you would also have access to a server in your department. I recommend running 3cx on that instead of a windows pc. It does not need many resources and is a lot better at resource management than XP/Vista/7. Even running on a VM gives great performance.

7. ehrendreich

Thank you for your help. I appreciate it greatly. I do have access to the server. I will follow your suggestions.

8. ehrendreich

I am not sure if I am missing something. I did go under the settings and changed the path. It does not seem to be using that directory. I have manually checked the permissions on the share that is mounted on the server. There are no files after leaving test messages. Any ideas? I did a reboot thinking that might be the problem.

9. abc123

abc123 Active Member

Check your windows event logs in case there is an error somewhere

10. abc123

abc123 Active Member

Sorry I just read you reply closer. You said voicemails.

They cannot be moved/redirected. They are not under recordings they are under IVR. I think the reason for this is that 3cx and the web portal need access to them to play as well as record and so they cannot be moved.

If the voicemail storage is too high and causing you problems then i would move the whole 3cx off onto another system with a larger disk or do a full image backup of the current drive and replace it with a larger one.

11. ehrendreich

Ok got it...will port it over to another system. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.