Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Network Bridging (port selection)

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by sigertronic, Jun 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sigertronic

As per my previous post, my company is looking to market a VOIP solution for companies to enable Branch - Branch calls via the Internet. We were initally leaning toward configuring a network bridge via OpenVPN, but now I wonder if it is possible to use the Bridge feature built into 3CX...

Our biggest challenge is that our only ISP very effectively blocks most VOIP applications as well as subscription based VPNs used to bypass the ISPs port blocking. OpenVPN was the initially concieved means of bypassing the ISP's restrictions, but I am wondering if the ports used by 3CX can be modified. To me, it would make sense if we could direct all traffic via an open UDP port, but I need confirmation that this is possible. Otherwise, its back to playing with OpenVPN config files.

Any experience in port selection of the "Bridge" feature?

2. sigertronic

Also, anyone know if it is possible to connect more than just 2 systems via the "Bridge" feature? If I wanted to link 3 or more branch offices, is this possible?

3. discovery1

discovery1 Member

You can link several offices together using the bridge feature. You are not limited only to two, but the bridges are point to point.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. sigertronic

By point to point, do you mean that branch 2 and branch 3 could both make/receive calls with branch 1, but not to eachother?

5. discovery1

discovery1 Member

You can do hub and spoke or you can do a mesh type arrangement but the routing gets a bit messy if you aren't careful.
    A well thought out mesh would be the best way to go with only one redundant route to get to office C from office A

eg. Bridge from Office A to B and A to C
    the primary route from A to C is the bridge between them. If that bridge was down then you could have a bridge from B to C which you could route calls from

The best way is to draw a picture and then map out the primary bridges between offices. Then see if there are any redundant bridges you can put in for times you have problems.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. sigertronic

With a hub and spoke topology, both b and c being bridged to a, calls would still be routable between b and c without a direct bridge, no?

Just trying to make sure I understand the capabilities. The "training video" on bridging is a little light on substance.

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.