New 3CX server setup questions

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by XcamaroX, Sep 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XcamaroX

Guys/Gals,

I just setup a "Free" version server on one of our machines to test drive 3CX.

Just by trying a softphone from a different computer in the network, it says it can't find the server, that it will keep trying.

Now, all I did was to manually add extension 100 with password 123456 to the softphone.

Do I have to do anything else before? I did not send the email with the extension number, as I don't even need a voicemail.

I know this is extremely short and vague, but I just need to get started and I can't even do that, this is without configuring a trunk, nor anything else, just a plain old internal server and internal softphone/.

Any ideas?

TIA!

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If you are trying to install a test set-up, then the network that you are using will play a big part in how this is all going to work. Assuming that you are using a supported phone (3CX softphone) , then both it, and the 3CX server should be behind the same router (at least initially, for a simple set-up).

When sending a provisioning file (as an email) to the 3CX softphone, you are assuming that the server information (where the phone is to go to contact the 3CX server) is correct in the PBX, or the wrong information will be sent in the provisioning file. Check the 3CX Server log (in the PBX) to see if there is a sign of attempted registration. Look through the settings in the softphone and change anything that appears to be incorrect. Make note of what was there before changing, just in case you have to go back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.