New 3CX user needs help

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by refiking, Jul 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. refiking

Hey,

I can't help but notice that everyone is talking about the server their phone system is on. I have my system installed on a desktop pc. Should I change that and have it installed on a server instead. And if so, what kind of server? Thanks in advance!

2. banksy

That depends, we run 3cx on a desktop class machine for testing purposes.

When we go live we migrate to a server class machine, the type will depend on the number of calls, IVR, Queues, etc we intend to run.
    Something like a dual core xenon would handle a half decent number of calls without bating an eye lid. The server has redundancy built in, can have fans swapped out, HD replaced all without any downtime.

I guess the answer is could you be without your phone system, and if so for how long.

Paul

3. refiking

ahhh ok. Thanks!

4. darrellchapman

refiking,

When people are posting about their "server" they are just referring to the machine that has the 3CX Server installed on it. It can be any flavor of Windows, Server or Workstation, it really is just a matter of preference and cost.

Personally, I have it installed on Windows 2003 Server but I would guess most have it installed on Windows XP Pro. XP Pro is nearly as stable Windows Server at a fraction of the cost.

As far as hardware goes? 3CX will probably work great with any machine you have lying around. It doesn't require any real special hardware. If it meets the Windows minimum requirements ('err recommendations) it will run 3CX. However, as banksy pointed out, the more number of simultaneous calls the greater the hardware requirements.

Some users even have 3CX installed on low-power fanless mini-ITX boards (ie VIA, Intel, JetWay) and have had no problems with it keeping up.

Hope that helps.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Henk

Henk Member

You can also put it on your media server and it works fine, i am not sure if anybody tested the 3cx on the Microsoft homeserver software. In theory that should work as it has a sbs kernel.

3CX has a reasonable small system foot print, the network connection can be a an issue when you put it on a box that has a high network requirement, but if you install qos that can be resolved aswell.

I believe it was version 4, when I was more involved in networks we put 3CX on a laptop and used our PDA's to talk to each other in the field. Even that worked, but that was more for fun than commercial.

H

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. francesco

francesco New Member

I have installed 3cx on a system for small office with Win Media Center Edition.
    with 760MB RAM
    the system have 6 extensions, and work very well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.