Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

New Installation Question

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by gschwab, Mar 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gschwab

gschwab New Member

Hello al,
    I'm going to install 3CX in our offices but have a couple of questions just in case i'm missing something.

We have six PSTN lines currently connected to an old Nortel system with six extensions so to get started I'm going to keep my PSTN lines with Verizon just as they are now.W e also have two alarm systems with dialers in them connected to two of the lines.
    Am I correct in thinking that all I basically need to do is install the software, install a gateway to connect the pstn lines to the network, install an ATA to connect the two alarm dialers to the network, add some IP phones and of course correctly configure all of the above? I will use only 3CX supported equipment.

Thanks,
    George

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

That is about it, in a nutshell.

I would NOT recommend running the alarm system through a gateway. If you retain the PSTN lines then it should be connected directly to them. In fact most alarm companies will install a jack that allows the alarm system to cut off anything else connected to the line when an alarm is activated, in that case it would be the gateway. The other issue with running an alarm system though VoIP is that they generally employ an analogue modem that the alarm company uses to contact your alarm system. Modem tones, as fax users have discovered, do not "play well" with VoIP. Talk to your alarm company before changing the way your system reports alarms.

3. gschwab

gschwab New Member

Ok thanks,
    I see what you mean, alarm Co. says the same, leave them connected directly to pstn lines.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. tom_ch

I'd recommend this too (to attach it directly to PSTN)

I can only speak for Switzerland, but here it isn't allowed to connect alarms (Fire, Elevator, et cetera) over VoIP.

5. jpillow

jpillow Well-Known Member

Alarm lines should always be kept seperate from VoIP systems. If your power is out your system cannot dial out in an emergency... fire, burgulary etc....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.