• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

New Installation Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

gschwab

Free User
Reaction score
Hello al,
I'm going to install 3CX in our offices but have a couple of questions just in case i'm missing something.

We have six PSTN lines currently connected to an old Nortel system with six extensions so to get started I'm going to keep my PSTN lines with Verizon just as they are now.W e also have two alarm systems with dialers in them connected to two of the lines.
Am I correct in thinking that all I basically need to do is install the software, install a gateway to connect the pstn lines to the network, install an ATA to connect the two alarm dialers to the network, add some IP phones and of course correctly configure all of the above? I will use only 3CX supported equipment.

Thanks,
George

That is about it, in a nutshell.

I would NOT recommend running the alarm system through a gateway. If you retain the PSTN lines then it should be connected directly to them. In fact most alarm companies will install a jack that allows the alarm system to cut off anything else connected to the line when an alarm is activated, in that case it would be the gateway. The other issue with running an alarm system though VoIP is that they generally employ an analogue modem that the alarm company uses to contact your alarm system. Modem tones, as fax users have discovered, do not "play well" with VoIP. Talk to your alarm company before changing the way your system reports alarms.

Ok thanks,
I see what you mean, alarm Co. says the same, leave them connected directly to pstn lines.

I'd recommend this too (to attach it directly to PSTN)

I can only speak for Switzerland, but here it isn't allowed to connect alarms (Fire, Elevator, et cetera) over VoIP.

Alarm lines should always be kept seperate from VoIP systems. If your power is out your system cannot dial out in an emergency... fire, burgulary etc....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davide.luppi
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.