• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

New Member Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

WalterV

Reaction score
Hi all, new member here.
I would like to introduce myself, I am an owner of a small telephone company (business phone systems) here in NY, and I have been in the business for thirty years. I am very much interested in learning the “non traditional” communication applications that are available today, unlike my colleagues, I see this is the future in this industry. So in short I am no longer in “denial” :)
I and my crew have implemented many traditional VOIP phone systems, mostly the ESI product, with that said, I still consider use very green in this computer telephony industry.

I have many questions, and I guess the first step should be setting up one of these systems in my office, would you agree with that? I see there is a “free edition” of the 3Cx software as well as pay version, my understanding by looking at the website is that the pay version gives you more features and functionality, would that be a correct statement?

If so, could you help me to get started with the “free version”? I think I might want to start with SIP trunking as opposed to PSTN, reason being is the cost for the VOIP gateway. So with that said I need some recommendations on a SIP trunk provider (say 3 lines or so, and the hardware to configure a small system for test purposes in my office, figure 3 or 4 phones with one remote worker. Could I set this up on a dedicated laptop that has windows XP?

Thanks in advance for your help, if there are any questions you need to ask me on the “traditional” end of this business, I would be more than happy to help you with that.

Best Regards,
Walter

:|

Thanks Matt,
Will XP home edition be that bad for testing? Waht about Vista, is that supported?

Hi and welcome to the Community.

Have a quick look at the manual for the installation requirements - the details are below for version 7 of 3CX

3CX Phone System for Windows requires the following:
· Windows XP Pro, Vista, 2003 server or 2008
· Port 5060 (SIP), 5080 (Tunnel - Optional) to be opened
· Port 5480, 5482, 5483, 5485 to be free
· One port for IIS, 3 if using Cassini (5000, 5481, 5484)
· .NET Framework version 2.0 or higher
· 1 Gigabyte Memory or higher, Pentium 4 processor or up
· IIS is recommended so that you can use it as the web server

Download links to documents etc. are here

http://www.3cx.com/phone-system/download-links/

Vista is supported so it would probably be better to use that for testing.

I'm running the free version on win XP home laptop, 1,7 GHz centrino, 1 GB ram - no problems. using it for our big home, 2 PSTN lines, 3 VOIP lines, aprox. 12 ext., both SIP phones (6)and analog (6) via ATA

Hi,

You need to be careful as Windows XP Home is NOT supported. I've already seen a few problems posted here by others trying to run on XP Home.

It might work on some setups but it really depends the features and your environment. Best to stick to the requirements, which really isn't hard.

Jonathan Hamon

XP Home is working fine in my few implementation. Of course, XP Pro is much better, at least it supports Remote Desktop.

I would suggest you dont use anything like XP home or Vista home since they are not supported and untested.
You can use any of the ones in the current list, and i would suggest you use cassini even though it says IIS reccomended.

3CX Phone System for Windows requires the following:
· Windows XP Pro, Vista, 2003 server or 2008
· Port 5060 (SIP), 5080 (Tunnel - Optional) to be opened
· Port 5480, 5482, 5483, 5485 to be free
· One port for IIS, 3 if using Cassini (5000, 5481, 5484)
· .NET Framework version 2.0 or higher
· 1 Gigabyte Memory or higher, Pentium 4 processor or up
· IIS is recommended so that you can use it as the web server

The reason fur running on xp home is that i setup a test system for 3cx using a no longer needed laptop having xp allready installed on. First i doubt it could work but now it is running for almost 6 weeks without failure. We never planned to implement a pbx, but since 3cx is so perfectly running we decided to go with it.
We are using 3 voip and 2 pstn lines with 12 ext. in our private home.
Next step will be getting a pc with xp pro to meet the requirements of 3cx.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ghisl1
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.