Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

New Office VOIP Setup w/ 3CX

Discussion in '3CX Clients' started by Alb3rtV3, Nov 22, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alb3rtV3

Hey Everyone,

I am a paralegal at a law office and my boss has asked me to find information on getting a VOIP system setup with the ability to have incoming/outgoing call recording. I have looked around and it seems that 3CX has what we need in terms of functionality. The issue is that I do not want to contact a reseller without the exact information that I need to be up sold on something we don't need.

My background: Electrical/Electronics Engineer and a history of building and fixing computers. I have not had any experience with PBX systems at all. So any/all information you can provide me will be great.

Current Analog Phone Setup:
    -Comcast Business
    -Three phones
    -Phones: RCA Visys (Analog)

Current Internet Setup:
    -Comcast Business
    -Router: Netgear Highthawk AC1900
    -Download/Upload: 95mbps/20mbps

Currently I am looking a purchasing the Intel NUC5CPYH with 8gbs of ram. Beyond that I am confused as to how the rest of the setup will work.

• Can we use the analog phones or will we require VOIP phones?
    • Our office is located in Florida and because of the hurricanes and such, we are currently debating with either an On-Premise or Cloud setup. The issue being, HIPAA rules governing recorded calls with client confidentiality.
    • Besides the Intel NUC5CPYH, what other hardware would we need?
    • Does 3CX have the capability for an auto attendant? Mainly when someone calls, the message advises the caller that the call IS recorded and monitored which will then branch off into a tree of different options users can press besides extension.
    Note: I have looked at Ooma and found the system a bit distasteful as well as horror stories from previous customers. Comcast already has a somewhat of a VOIP system but we need call recording.

Thanks in advance for any help you would be able to provide me in hopefully picking 3CX to be our new PBX setup.

2. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello @Alb3rtV3

I hope i can help out with a few of your questions.

You can use analog phones but you will need a FXS device to connect the phones to and as these devices are only supported for local use that limits your options regarding Cloud or local deployment. A list of supported FXS devices can be found here

This is something you will have to decide depending on your needs. 3CX is capable of running on-premise and in the cloud. If you do go for cloud though, you will need VOIP phones or a VPN connection from the cloud instance to your office.

I would recommend getting Voip phones. They offer greater functionality and can be fully supported by 3CX if you buy phones from our supported list found here. Try getting something from our supported list. You could also use the 3CX client if you do not require physical phones thus eliminating the need for phones. Besides this it depends on your installation and network configuration if you will require additional equipment.

Yes, they are called digital receptionists and can do exactly what you describe.

Apart from the above it is good to know that recording is not available in the Free edition of 3CX so you will need a commercial licence to enable this feature. To see what is included with each licence please see this link. Also note that recordings are done on an extension level. That means that an extension has to be involved for the call to be recorded.

Make sure that your hardware meets the minimum requirements depending on the simultaneous calls the system will have and also make sure you have disk space available since you will be using call recording. Minimum specs found here

I would also recommend visiting our academy section and going through the videos to familiarise your self with the phone system.
    https://www.3cx.com/3cxacademy/

We also offer live webinars you can register to and see aspects of the system being displayed live.
    https://www.3cx.com/blog/event-trainings/

Please let us know if further information is required.

agp likes this.
  3. keithshook

• Our office is located in Florida and because of the hurricanes and such, we are currently debating with either an On-Premise or Cloud setup. The issue being, HIPAA rules governing recorded calls with client confidentiality.

Your other questions have been answered you can record calls or not record them, is your problem you need to record calls or cannot due to HIPAA?

We are a silver re-seller in Cape Canaveral, and are always available to assist.

keith shook
    NSync Data
    321-784-8488

4. Alb3rtV3

Thanks for all the info. I actually just got off a conference call with JDL Technology in regards to getting a 3CX system for our office. They are located about 10 minutes away from us so it just makes sense. Unfortunately, the conversation wasn't as technologically detailed as I had hoped but it was sufficient as to what 3CX product we would need and such. Awaiting on the quote.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.