New phone, quality problem

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by eliosfederico, Mar 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eliosfederico

Hi everyone,

I decided to change my phone, from a Gigaset to a Cisco SPA504G.
    I start with saying that I use with both of them the same HD codec (G722). The problem I noticed with the new phone is that when calling an extension that also uses an HD coded, when the other person is talking and I talk over their voice then suddenly their voice loses quality, it sounds then like a narrowband codec. This lasts a second, then returns to normal. This happens with extensions in my LAN and not, so no bandwith problem here.

Any idea?

Thanks

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Just a guess but it might have something to do with echo cancellers kicking in. You don't have "PBX delivers audio" selected do you? I assume that if you use G711, there is no issue?

Do you find that there enough of a difference in quality, locally, that it is worth using?

3. eliosfederico

The echo canceller option is off on the Cisco settings. The PBX delivers audio is off on all the extensions.
    Well, the G711 is already pretty bad quality compared to the G722 so with the G711 I don't hear problems...
    What do you mean? If I would start using the G711 instead of the G722? No way!

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Are the firmware version up to date?

5. eliosfederico

Yes, as soon as I powered it up, I downloaded the latest firmware version from Cisco.

6. eliosfederico

I just realized that I worte that the echo canceller on the Cisco was off. I meant the silence suppression was off.
    I couldn't find an option for the echo canceller in the Cisco!

7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The fact that it only lasts about a second, then appears to be OK, would suggest that "something" is adapting. Does this only happen on Cisco to Cisco calls, and Gigaset to Cisco, or was it happening Gigaset to Gigaset using G.722?

Have you confirmed that Codec being used? Wireshark?
    Have you checked the Cisco forums, they may have more specific information, as it may be set related (options?) and nothing to do with 3CX itself.

8. eliosfederico

Because I dont't have two Cisco phones (I'm still testing it) I can't test Cisco to Cisco but I can say that for now it happens only Cisco to Gigaset. Gigaset to Gigaset was just fine.
    Codec appears to be G.722 at all times...
    I posted something on the Cisco forum aswell. Let's hope someone has an idea, becuase my feeling is is that it has something to do with the Cisco's echo cancelling. I say this because after lowering the input gain (mic, so the other party hears me a little less loud) of the Cisco, the problem appears way less often than before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.