New setup simple (i hope!) questions

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by mattpayne, Jun 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattpayne

We are looking to replace a dying phone exchange in our small estateagents, the current setup is something along the lines of...

8 BT phone lines - 4 different BT numbers
    2 lines for sales on one number
    3 lines for lettings on one number - credit card machine also connects to one of these extensions
    1 x dedicated Fax
    1 x 8mb Broadband enabled line solely for internet access on another number

Basically looking to reduce this down to a much more sensible arrangement!!!
    So far we have decided on using an old P4 2.8ghz sever for the 3CX system
    7 Grandstream GXP2020 phones
    VOIPON to provide the calls

thats the easy bit! :)

now the part I dont understand!

out of all the lines coming into the building is it possible to reduce that down to one or 2?? we would like to keep the fax totally seperate at the moment as a normal BT phone/fax line, but the sales and lettings - would it be possible to have both of those numbers use a single broadband connection? ideally using the BB line that currently enters the building? or do we need a seperate broadband line for each of the 2 physical numbers that we use?

and as for hardware, the normal router ok? or do we need a magic router?? or do we need a dedicated gateway (something along the lines of a grandstream GXW4104)?

sorry if this is waffly, and I hope someone gets the general drift!!! :)

Matt

2. mattpayne

after some more reading and playing about it looks like I can use voipon to have 2 telephone numbers route to the same public IP and the 3CX server will then be able to distinguish from these and send one number to one Ring Group and the other number to another Ring group or use one telephone number, and have an auto assistant offer 2 ring groups as options to the caller..

to me this looks like it bypasses the need for the GXW4104 gateway so would I be right in thinking that my telephone line provision could be cut down to just 2 physical lines into the building??

line 1 for my fax machine and creditcard machine
    line 2 for my broadband and VOIP

or have i got it all wrong and there is something else I need to look at or get!!??

3. banksy

I would use two lines but..

Line 1 - Broadband (voip), and CC machine.
    Line 2 - Broadband (surfing etc) and fax machine.

Then use line 2 as a backup for the voip system incase broadband goes down on that line. If possible use two different providers, voip.co.uk and gradwell both do broadband and voip so may be worth a look at those.

Regards

Paul Banks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.