• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

New to 3CX any suggestions for setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejizzel

Reaction score
I would first like to say HELLO to everyone. I am very interested in VOIP and getting to know how to set up systems like 3CX.
I currently work for a small mental health wellness office and after testing 3CX I would like to implement it as our office IP PBX. Since we are a small office (6 users) with a VERY limited budget, the fact that 3CX is free, not tied to proprietory hardware, full featured and seems to work well attracts us the most. While I am technically inclined I would like to get some advice on my proposed setup.

Server : Intel duo-core 2.93GHZ, 3 GB RAM

Telephones : 6 Linksys SPA 941 IP Phones

Gateway SPA 3102 (used to connect our 2 PSTN Lines to 3CX, will be used for all calls INBOUND/OUTBOUND of the 3cx system)

After reading some of the forums on regards to the SPA3102 gateway im reluctant on using it but at the same time its within our price range.

ANY SUGGESTIONS.

That set-up sounds fine, just be aware that you are limited to 4 concurrent conversations with the "free" version, and no message waiting indicator if you plan on using voicemail. You might want to get it up and running and then move up to a paid version for the extra features especially if you added a VoIP line later for, say, long distance service.

As far as the 3102 goes...yes it is complicated, there are a lot of features that many would never use, but they do work and would also give you a couple of analogue sets that you could set up in the mean time in place of a couple of the 941's until you are sure you need them. They could also be used to connect a fax machine.

Specs look good. Make sure your use IIS. While Cassini is the easiest, it also breaks the fastest.

Sounds like a good setup. Keep in mind you'll need a network connection for each SPA941. I'm not sure how many you have going to each desk location currently, but you'll need one for the PC and the phone at desk locations. Phones such as the Grandstream GXP-2000 can share with the PC if only one lan connection is present at each desk.

As far at the SPA3102, i used them for a while. Once they are setup, you are good to go. The setup can be the tricky part though :). I just want to make sure that you do know the SPA3102 has one FXS port and one FXO. FXO ports are used for telephone lines from your provider. FXS are for telephony devices. So, you'll need 2 FXO ports, which means two SPA3102s.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Im confused in regards to the SPA 3102. We currently have 2 lines at the office both coming from the same wall jack, will I still need 2 SPA3102's. If so can I configure 3CX to use the 2nd external POTS line when the 1st is in use. Is there another gateway (not to expensive) that I can use for both external lines.

You will need 2 SPA -102s. Each SPA-3102 has one FXO port, which is used to connect the PSTN to VoIP and one FXS port, which is used to connect to a physical phone.
configure them so that when one line is busy it forwards to the other line.

Thanks for clarifying that. I guess having 2 SPA 3102's is cheaper than buying a gateway with 2 FX0 ports. Like I said earlier we have a limited budget, I would like to keep cost as low as possible so maybe we can upgrade to the paid version and have support.

On another note, it seems like this forum is very helpful and I hope to contribute when I can.

If you ever want to add additional PSTN lines in the future then it might be more economical now to go with a four FXO port device, haven't seen any single devices, with only two ports, not that they aren't out there. As i had said earlier, two 3102's will also give you a couple of FXS ports in case you use a fax machine or want to have a standard set in the reception area for visitors to use.
If you have, or plan to get high speed internet at the office you can add VoIP lines later with no additional equipment. These could be your current phone numbers ported over to a provider or just an added long distance services for outgoing LD calls only.
If CAT-5 wiring is an issue, there is another Linksys model, a step up (942?), that has a second RJ-45 port to plug in a PC at the same location, so only one run required at each desk. If you shop around, the cost isn't that much more, perhaps less than someone coming in to add more wiring (and a switch with more ports).

Thanks LEEJOR.
Im think im going to go with the 2 SPA3102's. I think if we decide to get any additional line we may just opt for a VOIP service. Im just holding off because its not economically feasible to switch to VOIP just yet (with any additional lines it makes sense) and I also like having the reliability of a POTS line (still remember the black-out in NY a couple of years ago and only POST lines worked).

As for having enough network ports we just got the office wired 2 months ago in anticipation of using a IP PBX within the office.

The 3102's also allow the phones plugged into the FXS ports to fall back to the PSTN line on power failure.

I heard somewhere that Linksys were possibly planning to discontinue the SPA942 for a "500" model... (not completely sure)

Maybe you're better off considering a Yealink or SNOM handset as your choice, as you may find that you won't be able to get the same model phone next year if you expand.

Ya, Linksys SPA900 series has been improved and is now the Cisco SPA500 series of phones. I hear good things about them.

Thanks - just took a look at them - they do look pretty good actually, and for a change Cisco have been nice enough to document their setup really well also.

Price point appears quite reasonable...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.