New to 3cx question

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Pete S, Oct 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pete S

Hi!

I'm new to 3cx and IP PBX in general and I've read all documentation but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around a few things.

We're setting up a small 3cx system with about 6 extensions - have ordered Yealink T41s & T46s phones. The plan is to have incoming calls go directly to IVR where the caller selects 1 for sales, 2 for support and so on or enter the extension directly. We'll have the IVR transfer the call to ring groups or possibly queues for each function. If you're part of the right group or queue the phone will ring. Some of us will do both sales and support for instance. But is there a way to set this up so we can see on the phone if the call is a support call or a sales call?

Thanks in advance!

- Pete

2. NickD_3CX

NickD_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Absolutely! With the default settings of 3CX, when an incoming external call:
    1. Matches an Inbound Rule you've created which
    2. Forwards to an IVR/Digital Receptionist, then
    3. An option takes the caller to a Ring Group or Queue, then
    4. Ring the Members/Extensions of the Ring Group or Queue
    The members on are ringing as a result of this will see:
    • The Callers Number
    • The Inbound Rule name you have set in the Management Console (optional, if not set it won't show)
    • The Ring Group/Queue Name

This means that if you have your "Sales" Queue and your "Support" Queue, while the phone is ringing, besides the Caller ID of the Caller you will also see which Queue its coming in through (same applies for Ring Groups).

Pete S likes this.
  3. Pete S

Thanks, that's perfect!

Another question I was wondering about is that most phones support more than one voip connection. Yealink T41 I think supports up to 3 and T46 up to 6 connections.

When using 3cx is there ever a need to connect the same phone with multiple voip connections to the PBX?

4. yayaasd

Hey Pete,
    I am joining your question...How about outgoing calls with different lines from one phone?
    I did not find that since 2 days, still searching...

5. NickD_3CX

NickD_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Although technically possible, generally 3CX provisions phones with only one account. I suppose there are a few less usual scenarios where doing so might help out, but not for the majority of cases.

VoIP does not work with the same logic as lines. Each endpoint, even if its registered with one account to a PBX has the ability to make multiple outbound calls, you don't need to have multiple accounts for that. Just put the one call on hold, press the "New Call" button and make another. Usually you are only limited on how many calls you can have active at any given time by the devices hardware.

Pete S likes this.
  6. yayaasd

Nick, glad hearing from you.
    just to be clear - my goal is to make same szenario like Pete, but also wanted to place calls.

For example:

Phone 1
    - Company A
    - Company B
    - Company C

I want to receive calls to each of the company and also would like to place a call from.

7. Pete S

Inbound calls you could use inbound rules to separate the companies so you can see what company the call is coming from. Same as the reply I got for my question.

On outbound calls I'm not sure but I think you could use a prefix and outbound rules to decide what voip account/trunc should be used for each outgoing call. So if you want to dial the number 1234567 from company A you prefix it with 0 so 01234567. For company B you could prefix it with 1 so 11234567 etc.

8. Pete S

Thanks! Much appreciated!

9. manfer

And you can have three different extensions manually configured on the same phone if it is a multiline VoIP phone and you want to do so. Nothing wrong on such an implementation either as far as I know.

Pete S likes this.
  10. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If you plan on having one set handle multiple companies or departments, then assigning each, its own line key, might work well for you. Doing so would allow outbound calls, dialled using the extension assigned to each company/department, to display a different outbound caller ID (if allowed by your provider). This would be of use if you use, or plan on using DIDs, or different trunk groups, per company or department. Outbound rules can be restricted, by extension number, so that certain extensions will only route over certain trunk groups, without the need for a different routing prefix, if desired.

yayaasd, NickD_3CX and Pete S like this.
  11. yayaasd

thx leejor for this information.

but is it actually possible with provisioning via template - or do i have to manually configure this on the phone?
    I would prefer to deploy config...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.