Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

New User with questions

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by jmorley, Sep 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmorley

I have got 3cx set up with 2 computers using the 3cx softphone and 2 extensions. I would like to set up a cisco 7970(if possible) on my laptop. I been reading and it seems Cisco is not very supported with 3cx. If i were to purchase a 7970 ip phone from Cisco, would 3cx support it.

If not, I plan to go with a CISCO SPA XXX phone, I need to understand a few things. Are the SPA plug and play, just get the power adapter, use a Ethernet cord into the computer and plug into my router and set it up? Am i right? I don't have any pbx hardware only the 3cx software.

Thank you

Jordan

2. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

My suggestion is to not go for the 7970... It is NOT "Plug and Play". You would probably end up giving it away for free after failing to configure it, that's how unfriendly it is.

Go to a SPA XXX series which is pretty much plug and play as you say. After connecting the phone's wires, you just need to change a couple of settings in the phone it's self / adding the Server IP so the phone knows where to connect and that's it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Fatboy40

Fatboy40 New Member

Leonidas,

You may not want to answer this but what's your opinion on the Linksys SPA962 ?. To all intents and purposes is it just a rebranded Cisco SPA525G ? (I think it may be vice versa though in the the Linksys came first ?).

Without knowing more it looks like it is, and is a heck of a lot cheaper.

Thanks.

4. jmorley

For the SPA series, I am just a bit confused on POE, power over Ethernet. Now I know what Ethernet is, my router uses Ethernet cables for my pc's. Now for the SPA525 (or similar), I just need to understand. I buy the phone, plug the Ethernet cable into my computer or my router, and set it up through 3cx and callcentric (what carrier i plan to use) and I'm good to go? Thanks, I think i got almost everything ready to purchase the phone, just need to know where to put the cables ha ha.

5. Fatboy40

Fatboy40 New Member

PoE injects a small current into the Ethernet cable, enough to power say a phone or a WiFi access point. The chances of your router providing ports with PoE though is near enough zero, so to quote the Cisco website...

The power supply for the SPA525G is sold separately

6. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

You can either connect your phones with the Power Cable that comes with them so they power up / turn on and connect them to your routers, OR you can use power over ethernet.

For power over ethernet you would need a router that actually supports Power Over Ethernet. You can't use just any random router.

And yes after connecting the phones to your router it's all cake from there on.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. jmorley

Ok, yeah i don't think i have a POE router...just a Verizon Fios router. So, to be clear, if i have the power cable, do i need the POE? If i do need a POE switch...how much. I am a home office user and don't feel like paying $$$ for a huge switch.
    Jordan

edit: what about the yealink....is it easier or am i getting in over my head with VOIP phones?

8. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Power over ethernet = The routers that give Power Over Ethernet simply just add some extra power to your ethernet cable.
    So when you connect your ethernet cable to your phone, the phone will turn on / get power from your ethernet cable and will also work as a normal ethernet cable at the same time.

You don't really need POE for your cisco. It's just an exotic way of powering up your phone with just 1 cable.

Just buy the power supply for your cisco and you're set.

9. jmorley

Ok haha, yeah the power supply ill just buy. Now my question is, you say i am all set with the power supply, now do i use wifi or do i still plug into the computer since the router doesn't need to be used anymore with the power supply.

10. mhanson

mhanson New Member

Jmorley,

You still need your router - without it you have no way to allow the phone access to your network.

You are over-complicating this.

No matter what, the phone needs to connect to your network via an ethernet cable.

As for Power, you can use a power cord, or POE, which in your case is not an option.

If I may offer my advice, it seems that you are new to VoIP, so I wholly recommend you DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE A CISCO 7900 series phone. These phones can make experience VoIP Veterans bang their heads on their desks. The work that it takes to correctly provision them can be a major undertaking that someone without experience will not be able to accomplish. This is why that series of phones are not on the Preferred or Supported list of 3CX phones.

If you truly want to get this project off the ground and work your way through this, you should definitely look into one of the phones listed in the Supported or preferred section of the below link.

http://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/

11. jmorley

:). thanks guys! I am so not going with any 79xx series, I plan to go with the SPA 525g :)

Jordan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.