New user with successful install but a few questions

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by wtl, Aug 24, 2007.

1. wtl

wtl

Hi All! I've managed to successfully install and configure 3cx with Vitelity, and it appears to be working very well so far. I'm glad to have this alternative to Asterisk/TrixBox - prefer working in Windows.

However, I do see a couple limitations I'm wondering about. I've only been seriously working with 3cx for a couple days, so I may be overlooking something.

First, the whole after hours thing doesn't seem as flexible as it could be. I have a digital receptionist set up, and three extensions for a small business. I have my extension configured to ring an external line, (my cell phone), if the extension isn't registered. That's great during business hours, but I'd prefer it to stop at the close of business without having to reconfigure the extension.

I can use a second digital receptionist and have all after hours calls routed to a single after hours extension for leaving a voicemail, but I'd really like after hours callers to hear the same options as in hours callers, but just be taken to voicemail for the extension they choose.

I'm thinking 3cx could really benefit from the addition of in/out hours configurability at the extension level. Or, perhaps I've missed something, or there is a better workaround?

Second, I'd love to be able to dial in to the system and place arbitrary calls out over the Vitelity line. This would allow me to place business calls from wherever I am, and have the customer recognize the number, rather than use my cell phone while out of the office. I realy don't want customers having my cell phone number.

Third, I think it would be nice to be able to set a time limit for the forward to external number option on an extension, with the idea being to avoid my cell phone voicemail from kicking in. In other words, I'd like to be able to set the external calling to run for say 15-20 seconds, long enough for me to get a good couple rings on my cell, but not long enough for the cell voicemail to pick up, so the caller would end up going to 3cx voicemail if the external call was not picked up.

Thanks for any ideas you have. 3cx seems to be a great product, and although the free version probably suits our needs, I'll be soon purchasing a paid version just to support the product.