Newbee Help

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by mobilesoundz, Jul 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mobilesoundz

I am after a little assistance as i have installed 3CX and have been playing with it before going live. 3CX is installed on an SBS 2003 server and i purchased a linksys spa3102, i have an analogue phone which plugs into the spa and this also plugs into the phone line. I have full functionality as i require, i.e. inbound calls from the analogue line go to 3CX and ring the phone, and inbound calls from my SIP provider ring the phones. The issue i am having is with call quality, i have et up QOS on the internet line, the local network is 1gig, but echo and low volumes are experienced on outbound analogue calls and inbund analogue calls. The inbound Sip calls are a little clearer but not ideal. I believe the issue is possibly with the SPA as internal calls between extensions appear fine, i have also tried a softphone client on the system and sip calls are a little faint but not too bad but the analogue calls are very faint and bad quality. I have changed all settings on the SPA to try and improve things, i have tried every config found on the net but things range from bad to worse, has anyone got any ideas on how to achieve my goal.

Thanks

Mobilesoundz

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

There are a number of sites that have the steps to go through to "tweak" echo and level problems. Other than the setting that they mention , and there really aren't a lot of them, there may not be a lot you can do. It should work well. I did have an echo problem but just kept "playing" with the various settings on the FXO (PSTN) port. Some problems can be created by other devices hanging off the phone line that the 3102 is also plugged into, fax machine, computer modem, 20 caller ID devices...etc. Have you tried calls using a softphone extension to see if some of the problem is with the FXS port and/or the telephone that you are using? If you are hearing echo then your phone may be sending out a level that is a tad too high.

3. mobilesoundz

I have tried softphone and it is a little better quality but not purfect the issue i think is with the SPA i just cant seem to tune it in correctly, i have tried multiple configs, id there a better device than this that would work in the UK possibly with less fine tuning options as i have to admit i change settings not really knowing what they do, i notice that if i were to look at astrix then there are pci cards i can put into the server, i have a belief that if it is installed in the server there will be no communication between different devices. I have even looked at paying someone to resolve but cant seem to find any 3cx consultants in my area

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Oh....being in the UK did you find a site that dealt specificity with the setting for that country? i seem to recall that the impedance setting commonly used was different than the standard 600 ohm that is used in North America. I'm sure that there are other using them over there with no issues. Do you ave a firmware load that is either the latest or one with no known bugs? Don't forget that if you are hearing the echo then your outgoing level is too high for the current setting to compensate for.

Here are a few things a quick search turns up....

http://forum.voxilla.com/linksys-sipura-voip-support-forum/set-up-linksys-spa3102-voip-router-ata-bt-uk-26120.html

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.telecom.voip/browse_thread/thread/f66abd31af4a5387/e8487549136b6b7f

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=43&topicid=12363

5. ticus

Hi, I have a newbee question:

On this momment I can receive inbound calls (from my SIP providor) and transfer it from one extention to another. But, How can I transfer a internal call (extention to extention) to an external line (outbond call)?. I tried with the transfer function of my soft phone but it worked just to transfer internal calls.

Also, I'm planning to buy some SIP Phones and a PSTN to VOIP converter. I was thinking on Grandstream Budgetone 201 - BT201 . Any suggestions?

Thank you very much.

Pablo

6. voipbaennjer

Instead of BT201 I would suggest Grandstream GXP-280 or GXP-1200 since they have more features like "Missed calls with date and time", phonebook, hands free talking.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. ticus

Thank you very much for your recommendation voipbaennjer.
    Do you have some experience with USB phones?. I'm concern about the absense of hold and tranfer button but I was thinking on USB phones as an alternative to headphones, usefull to answear and to make quick calls.

Thank you again!!

Pablo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.