newbie: 3cx only for PC?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by tonj, Dec 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonj

I've managed to get 3cx working on a PC. But can 3CX be installed on a device other than a computer? ie: is there a 3cx version that can be installed on a cisco router or some other device?

2. tonj

ok thanks for your response and the links matt, they were helpful. You probably twigged I was looking for a low-power-on-all-the-time device and I don't like the idea of running a PC 24 hours a day.

3. Cjay

Cjay New Member

An old laptop is ideal, and 3Cx V6 doesn't seem to need too much processor grunt/memory.
    My system comprising laptop, Linksys SPA-3102, NSLU2, IP phone & Ethernet switch runs around 45Watts - which is bearable from an electricity bill standpoint!
    Chris

4. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

3CX is only for a device running Windows XP or higher. Its also possible to run it as a Virtual Machine.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. TechneITSolutions

One thing you can also do is just run a thinclient with linux and wine, this gives the benefits of linux and still being able to run 3CX.
    as a thinclient is lots smaller you'd be able to hide it almost anywhere.

6. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

No way it will work on wine, forget using Linux with 3CX. If you want to use linux, use asterisk.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. banksy

Given you can now get SSD to replace HDs its alot easier to make a fan less or atleast very quite PC now.

Next is id love them to replace the database used to something like SQL server so we can run our own backup routines.

Paul

8. banksy

Matt,

I bet they do. I just like the idea of one less service. In no way is it currently a problem for us.

I can see they have alot to come and am really looking forward to seeing (and trying) some of them.

Paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.