Newbie 3CX Phone System Question

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by hanamachi, May 6, 2007.

1. hanamachi

Hello Everyone, just got this 3CX system installed. Learned about it thru friends in VOIP class. SO anyways, I setup the server and extensions. Both extensions I setup are registered and works, but how do I call make a call?

Thanks

Hanamachi

2. Mori

Mori New Member

Hi hanamachi.

First of all
    Have you read the manual? :)
    If not, you can find it here -> http://www.3cx.com/manual/3CXPhoneSystemManual30.pdf

Anyway, you have to register with an Voip provider if your going to use IP phones. Or connect an PSTN line.

When the gateway is registered, you can start placing outside calls.
    Remember, if you set outbound rule to gateway with a certain prefix, eg 0, you have to start your call dialing 0+number you want to call for outside calls.

Get any wiser? :)

3. hanamachi

I read the manual. Thanks. I have 2 line. One is Vonage and one is Fiber with verizon. So which on should I connect to? Also when I setup a gateway, say thru verizon, will I get charged for long distance?

Thanks

Dav

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You can set them both up as a gateway if you want to. Use outbound rules to determine wich one is used when you call out.

If you want to receive calls from the POTS you need to have an ATA you can set that one up as a gateway aswell.

To make VoIP calls you need a VSP (Voice Service Provider) and it is up to you which one to use than for which calls.

3cx is a pbx so it only routes based upon what you say it has to do, it does not have smarts to determine which call are routed to what provider unless you specifically tell it to do so.

5. hanamachi

which setup will not require me to buy any hardware, since I already have a mic. the voip or pots?

6. swallservices

If you do not want to purchase any special hardware and you would like to place and receive calls using your computer you need to set up a VoIP account with a provider such as BroadVoice, ViaTalk or VoIPYourLife. The provider you choose will provide you with the settings you will need to program into 3CX which you will do under Line > Add VoIP.

Then you will need to configure an extension in 3CX and connect to it (register) using a SIP based client program such as X-Lite.

Download X-Lite
    http://www.counterpath.com/index.php?menu=Products&smenu=xlite

3CX Manual with X-Lite Configuration Information
    http://www.3cx.com/manual/3CXPhoneSystemManual30.pdf

Let us all know how things work out for you - good luck!

7. hanamachi

will vonage work for me, I currently have them for one of the lines and also will they charge me for anything? like international and stuff.

Also was wondering since I have relative in China , how would I used 3cx there, so I can connect it back here to the US?

Thanks

Hanamachi

8. swallservices

Vonage will work but is not recommended. Additionally Vonage does not support using their service with anything other than their hardware or software so using their line through 3CX violates Vonage's terms of service. That being said it probably can be done.

In order to use Vonage with 3CX the Vonage phone line you want to use must be a Vonage Softphone line (ie: their non-hardware solution). If you have a piece of hardware you use with your Vonage line you do not have the Vonage Softphone service and must change you service to Softphone. Again since Vonage does not support 3CX they will not give you the information you will need to configure 3CX. Configuration information for Vonage's Softphone service can be found on vonage-forums.com. Here's the article:
    http://www.vonage-forum.com/ftopic3346.html

As for talking to your relative in China you could let them download the X-Lite softphone on their computer and set up an extension for them on your 3CX PBX here in the US. Once they have configured their X-Lite installation to connect to your 3CX PBX they will be able to open up X-Lite on their computer and call your extension number to reach you.

In order to set that up properly though you will need a static IP address or an account with a dynamic dns provider so you can provide your relatives with your 3CX domain name or IP address to log into.

Check the 3CX manual on how to set up external extensions.

9. hanamachi

damn, so vonage is not recommended. Then for Verizon, would it work? I have Verizon POTS on a fiber connection. And what will I need?

thanks

Hanamachi :wink:

10. swallservices

In order to use any PSTN (POTS) line you will need a PSTN gateway with at an FXO port to connect to the Verizon line. The cheapest device I know of that I have found reliable is the Linksys SPA 3102 which retails at around $75 from vendors such as telephonydepot.com. This device will also have an FXS port so you will be able to hook up a regular telephone to the device as well and use it as a 3CX extension (in the same way the Vonage box currently allows you to use a regular telephone for your Vonage VoIP service)

Let me know if there is any other way I can help.

11. hanamachi

thanks for the advise, I am going to take a look into it. :D

Thanks Again

Hanamachi

12. dekatech

Vonage will only work with a softphone, it does work...
    Travis