• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

[Newbie] General 3CX questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeMelga

Reaction score
Hi all.

I am very new to all this VOIP world.
I run a very small business at home and I would like to try 3CX to manage my communications.

I am not sure what hardware I need so I am asking for your help.

Here is what I have:

1 analog land line (free to other land lines)
2 gsm lines (different operators - free to each operator)

2 analog phones
1 IP Phone (Cisco 7960 series)

Here is what I need/would like the system to do:

1- Be able to use the existing 2 analog phones in the house
2- Be able to use my cisco IP phone in my office (after SIP firmware install)
3- Route calls to the cheapest operator
4- Be able to send and receive faxes through the land line without a dedicated fax machine

Besides these... my main requirement is to have the ability to call the 3cx when away with my gsm and have the 3cx call me back and dial the number I define through DTMF. Is this possible?

I already have a spare dedicated server and I was thinking in buying Portech's MV-372 GSM gateway. Do I also need an analog (FXS,FXO) gateway?

Thanks.

Welcome Mike

I dont have a huge amount of experience on the GSM gateways as cell phone service in the USA is different that Europe and we dont pay a different price to call a cell phone compared to a landline.

There should be some European partners here who can advise you on that part, but it can be done.

For your two analog phones you would need an ATA (analog telephone adapter). There are many some are supported and others are not supported but work (e.g. PAP2T). The type depends on where and how you have your phones set up (if you have wiring for each phone then you can use a multi port ATA at the point of wiring or you can have 1 ata per phone).

The 7960 series can be flashed, and if you are only doing one then yes you can do it but to be honest it is much better in the long term to get a supported SIP phone.

You will be able to get gateways for the analog line also. I believe that you can get an analog and gsm gateway but you would have to check with the European partners. Or you can get a straight fxo or a combined fxo fxs (as i said it depends on wiring and positioning in your house as to which is best for your needs).

David Benwell (excuse my mis-spelling David, if I got it wrong) is a partner in the UK with good knowledge in this area that I know of and there are some others too (but I have not seen them on here for a few weeks).

One of them should be able to give you some good pointers.

MikeMelga said:
Besides these... my main requirement is to have the ability to call the 3cx when away with my gsm and have the 3cx call me back and dial the number I define through DTMF. Is this possible?

Not without a device designed to do this, or a software application written to do this. 3CX alone does not have this capability.

With a mobile (iPhone or Android), it is possible to send and receive calls using your data plan or a WiFi connection, as an extension of your PBX. This can also be done with most ATA's and a connected analogue set, when remotely connected to the internet. It is also possible to call into your 3CX voicemail, use a menu option, and then place a call out on the local line at the 3CX location. These are a few of the options available, call back to a number, as you've described, is not.

As far as your request for..
MikeMelga said:
3- Route calls to the cheapest operator

There are outbound rules, that you can create, to route calls to a number of outgoing trunks, based on the digits dialled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deanhbs
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.