Newbie installation on Win7 64bit - failed from the start

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by marky_uk, Aug 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marky_uk

Hi all

Really dissapointed. Looks a great product but tried to install and during the installation (not even getting as far as the config wizard many others discuss), I'm getting a dialog box:

3CX PhoneSystem Configuration Wizard
    "3CX PhoneSystem Database Server is not started."

To confirm -

Win7 64 bit.
    All patches/upgrades up to date.
    Checked that .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 is installed (made sure using add/remove Windows features)
    Already have .NET Framework 4 installed (part of Win7 64 bit).

Tried running the app as Administrator - same failure.

Also got both the internal and public firewalls BOTH turned off - failed first time after opening just two ports, so tried running with firewall completely off and still fails.

Are there logs? Can anyone help? I'd love to get this installed - looks a great product.

Thanks anyone in advance :)

Marky_UK

2. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi,

I would try uninstalling .net V4 and after that re-installing v3.5 again.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. marky_uk

Thanks for the reply Leonidas ... will try and report back :)

If I can get this cracking, I've got clients of ours that may wish to use it - it will certainly be blogged about and discussed on our site :)

Back in a short while ...

Marky_UK

4. marky_uk

Well ... .NET 4 removed and computer restarted

Then the failed 3CX installation removed and the installation checker run - all ticks.

Ran a new installation .... gets really near the end ... and I get a dialog box:

Windows Package Manager
    Operation failed with 0x8007000B
    An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format.

No idea what this means. Getting close to giving up and moving on :) Any log files generated? Any other ideas? :)

The installer COMPLETES and takes me into the "Welcome to the 3CX User Settings Wizard"

Was that failure important? Apart from taking another piece of my confidence I mean ... :)

Marky_UK

5. marky_uk

Hi there

I've managed to get this running without problem.

However, I'm struggling like mad to know what to run where, how to plug it in, what ports to select, etc, etc.

I've got the patience of a saint ... and can see this system is extremely powerful - but it's too complicated for me to setup and for that reason, I'm uninstalling and moving away from 3CX to find another provider who does what I want, simpler.

If you would like me to try again or to make suggestions, gladly ask - but for now, I need to get a system installed and working, and burning hours trying to work out how to sign in to a virtual skype account that doesn't exist and skype tells me it doesn't exist .. I'm just confused by the software and setup.

Regards

Marky_UK

6. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi,

The 3CXPhonesystem is to my knowledge one of the easiest to set up PBX's out there, all the difficult settings such as ports are pre-configured for you. There's no need to touch that part of the PBX.

All you you would need is either a Hardware Sip Phone or a Software Phone like this:
    http://www.3cx.com/downloads/3CXPhone4.msi

1) Install the 3CXPhone
    2) Go the SoftPhone Menu > Connections > Accounts > NEW Where it says Extension, ID, Password, fill those fields up with the number 100.
    3) My Location: I am in the office - Local IP = **ENTER YOUR PBX IP HERE**

Press ok, and you should be connected to your PBX.

With the proper forum posts the community / we can help you out with any problems / Questions you have about the PBX, because as i said, this is a Windows based PBX. It's cheap, easy to use (For a PBX...) and although there might be another easier solution out there i doubt that it's features / price / easiness would attract you all that much.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. marky_uk

Hi Leonidas :)

I'm actually struggling to find something else - I thin the main competitor looks to be PrettyMay's offering.

What would REALLY help me (and probably thousands of others) is a FULL end to end example of setting this up for 2 people with 2 skype accounts.

Something like -

Step 1 - make sure you have two REAL skype accounts setup with Skype and they work properly. For instance, bob_skype and phil_skype.

Step 2 - install X and on the first page, click A, B, uncheck C and click OK

etc etc ... all the way through .... until I have two computers in this office, with bob signed in on skype on one computer and phil signed into the other computer ... and a phone call coming in to my own skypein number and being routed correctly to bob or phil internally.

Is that possible? if so, I will gladly try to follow your (new) instructions form the start ... and will GLADLY contribute to the instructions where I think it could be worded easier, more helpful, etc, tec.

Mark

8. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi,

Yeah this is possible, it's just pretty long to explain.
    Though i will try and give you an example of how to do it later on as explaining the whole procedure right now is pretty hard. :roll:

9. marky_uk

Hi Leonidas

You should find my email address from my profile in the forum - if you want to send me something direct, I will make some time as you send it, to try and use it and give you relevant feedback to help you .. and me.

Till then ... it's currently uninstalled, with the installers ready to run whenever.

Regards

Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.